Help with a gaming computer build

freemailtime

Baseband Member
Hey, I've never built a computer before, so could you help me decide if this is a good build, or find any ways to cut the price without majorly cutting the quality?

I don't think I want to get a worse Graphics card, because I really want to play games like crysis on max settings and high resolution.

(The following adds up to $1,070.88 counting an inexpensive mouse and keyboard.)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

Graphics: EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Power: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Case: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Monitor: Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

Optical Drive:LITE-ON 52X CD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE

Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

thanks

Very nice selection of parts. Should be a real screamer.

If you want to save a few dollars, you can ditch the Sound Blaster and just use the on-board 8 channel Realtek ALC1200 sound chip.

For only $45, you can get the CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 that will work well in that system.

You might also want a DVD/CD burner as they are more versatile than just a CD burner. This is a good one: LG GH22NS30 22X DVD/ 48X CDROM

hey! good luck with the build, i like it. I am building my first computer as well. you are right not to compromise on the gpu - i am buying the same core 216 card. atomic rooster is dead on about the DVD/CD burner =)

Even with all of that, you will probably have to run crysis on high to get decent resolution.

what is the size of your monitor?

It's 22''
1680 x 1050 max resolution

I was also thinking I could cut back (meaning find a lower priced item) on the monitor, hard drive (unless somebody can convince me that having 1000 gigs is a necessity), or case.

Also, @ Atomic Rooster, does the "on-board 8 channel Realtek ALC1200 sound chip" come with the motherboard or something?
And whats the advantage of having a better dvd burner?

The motherboard has an integrated sound chip. So the sound is actually built into the motherboard, eliminating the need for a separate sound card.

The burner you listed is just a CD burner and will only read and burn CDs. The one I posted is a combination DVD and CD burner that can read and write to both CDs and DVDs. Many of today's new games come on DVD and you could also watch DVD movies.

A 1TB drive isn't completely necessary. You could get a nice 640GB drive such as the Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB for $69.99 and save yourself another $30.

The Acer 22" LCD monitor is a really nice deal at only $159.99.

:D

I never recommend onboard sound, so that sound blaster will still be effective. I doubt its that expensive either.

Of course the Audigy SE would be effective, it's a decent card. But if the guy wants to save $40, the on-board will do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom