Help w/ New PC Build

I disagree. He is planning on a gaming computer, so he needs fastest ram possible. Also, games are getting bigger and bigger, so 500gb will fill up real fast, so 1tb is needed. To get that cpu you recommend is a bad idea. They will end up costing more, so he will need to get a different mobo, which in oder to handle all this well, he needs to be spending much more on mobo and ram. Please take no offense, but you don't seem to be having much knowledge on building a gaming computer. Again, no offense intended, but based on your recommendations, they seem to be rather poor choices for someone on a budget.

Take a look at benchmarks, especially ones based off of real world usage. 1866Mhz makes almost no difference from 1600Mhz. Quite honestly anything above 1333Mhz isn't that significant.

AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

first one I grabbed, 2 games at bottom of page (real world use). There is essentially zero difference in FPS.

"The results weren't very stimulating, were they? Just as expected, gaming with faster memory just doesn't make any notable difference. I could have potentially lowered the resolution and settings in an attempt to produce some sort of difference, but I felt that testing these games at the settings they're most likely to be played at was far more enlightening. If you want better gaming performance, the GPU is the best component to upgrade—no news there."

second one I grabbed.

The Best Memory for Sandy Bridge Gaming | bit-tech.net

2 different games. difference between the highest and lowest was 1 FPS on one, and 2 FPS on the other... again, practically no difference.

as for the HDD, that is entirely up to him, but seriously, based purely on games, how many can one person play? I have had 7 on my PC at once (some big, some little) and I have never used more than 250GB including the OS and everything else.

based off of newegg, the i3 3220 is the same exact price. The fx-6300 is only $10 more. You can use the same mobo for the 6300 and the mobo prices for the i3 are no different.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Thanks for input oats, and thanks life (hah). I'll stick w/ the quad-core and step down my graphics. I really appreciate your help. Anything else I should know? I'm probably going to order the parts tomorrow.

yes, if you are making a gaming PC, you absolutely do not want to downgrade the graphics card (unless you mean downgrade the $145 radeon 7770 to a $120 radeon 7770). It is the most important component for a gaming PC with the CPU being 2nd. If you play multiplayer, the CPU can become almost as important as the graphics card although that depends on the game and how many people are nearby.

Last edited:
Thanks for input oats, and thanks life (hah). I'll stick w/ the quad-core and step down my graphics. I really appreciate your help. Anything else I should know? I'm probably going to order the parts tomorrow.

If you want a good, let me correct, if you want an insane gaming computer for around $700-$750, the please don't follow oats. If you want to spend around $800-$850, then listen to him. But you will then you will have complete over kill on the GPU, And MOBO. You have almost no advantage getting an i3, and a 7770. Here is why: By the time you need and i3 and a 7770 for gaming, there will be new games, which will need better then i3's and 7770's. So by the time you need them, new parts are out, and they will be obsolete:thumb:. Does this make sense?

If you want a good, let me correct, if you want an insane gaming computer for around $700-$750, the please don't follow oats. If you want to spend around $800-$850, then listen to him. But you will then you will have complete over kill on the GPU, And MOBO. You have almost no advantage getting an i3, and a 7770. Here is why: By the time you need and i3 and a 7770 for gaming, there will be new games, which will need better then i3's and 7770's. So by the time you need them, new parts are out, and they will be obsolete:thumb:. Does this make sense?

what part of "you can use the same mobo for the FX-6300 or even get a $70 one with an AM3+ socket" or "you can get an Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 socket motherboard for the same prices" do you not understand?

oh and yes, there is absolutely no advantage in getting the i3 3220 even though it is not only better than the FX-4300 for gaming but it is exactly the same price as the FX-4300... and the FX-6300 is only $10 more. You are making so much sense there I almost want to throw up.

The main reason your GPU's are so cheap is because they are refurbished crap, so that is not exactly the most viable option although it completely depends on how he looks at it. The brand new version of the 550 Ti is $10 less but it's performance is significantly worse than the 7770.

you were also against cutting prices on the slightly lower RAM speed which would make no difference in gaming performance, you didn't agree with cutting HDD prices, and you actually increased the price on the PSU for watts he wouldn't even need.

go back to your hole.

Last edited:
Like I said Sykos. If you want something amazing at good price, listen to me. Or get ripped off with slower ram at higher prices. It is 100% up to you whom you want to take advice from, but I have built (with pro's) many computers. Plus have built them by myself, so I have good knowledge on them. Also not to mention the extensive knowledge I've gotten from my computer teacher. best of luck to your and your build:)

You would need either an i5 3750 or i7 3770 for gaming..
I am interested to know why you say this, because it is not factual. I know someone with 8 gb DDR2, quad core 3.0ghz (forgot what graphics card) and it play every game out on high. I know for sure he does not have an i3, i5, or i7. i5-i7 is not needed to game, it is only a little extra kick, which you will hardly notice at all.

For about the same price, you could upgrade to a 7850.

The FX-4300 is a great CPU for the money and I see the AM3+ socket being around for a little while.

When building a gaming rig, you want a little overkill. Reason being you don't want to have to upgrade every time a new game comes out.

For about the same price, you could upgrade to a 7850.

The FX-4300 is a great CPU for the money and I see the AM3+ socket being around for a little while.

When building a gaming rig, you want a little overkill. Reason being you don't want to have to upgrade every time a new game comes out.

Absolutely correct, but when I say overkill, I mean some much over kill, your parts will be out dated by the time you would need it. With his current setup he has posted, he won't be needed to upgrade for years.

The only things I'm worried about is the refurbished graphics card. I haven't bought from newegg before, and I'm a little concerned.

The only things I'm worried about is the refurbished graphics card. I haven't bought from newegg before, and I'm a little concerned.

I guarantee 100% that you will not have any problems. I buy form newegg all the time, if you have a problem, they take care of it right away. You don't need to worry about that at all, trust me. Refurbished just means that they made sure it works 100% like new. It is basically brand new, no worries. Refurbished cards can actually be the better way to go, because they are exactly the same thing as a reg, except a bit cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom