Help Select a New PSU

Jake-

In Runtime
My Old power supply has gone bust, looking at buying a new one.

I need anywhere over 800w, But im thinking of spending up too £150.

I Own a LOT of corsair products and love there attitude to products, so would like one, But dont just want to buy corsair for the sake of it.

I was looking at either the HX850 or HX1050, but if anyone can recommend otherwise, i would greatly appreciate it :)

Obviously i get we all have our favs, so please if you post a different psu, would you explain why its better :) :confused:

Thanks again, Jake.

That's a good among of money. So that's great. in that case i will highly recommend the Corsair AX760. I got it for about 150 Euro in Denmark.

It's a 80+ Platinum validated PSU. That's only 1 awesome thing about it. It also refuses to get hot. The fan only kicks in at 70% load.
So it's 100% quiet until it hits 70%. I have it my self and i am very happy i got it.
it's also fully modular , and have a nice black design with no ugly color coded cords.

Color coded cords are still visible even with a black sleeve over it as most good PSU's have.
I don't like miss mathing color coding, so i am glad Corsair didn't do that for the AX series

Last edited:
The only thing the "i" version gives is support for some kind of monitoring software.
a software were you can see how much power each rail are uses. Also fan speed and temperature.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

only the AX series is Platinum validated. you are gonna get most efficiency with the AX PSU's up to 80% load.

Why do you need 1000W?

Why do you need 1000W?

I know, when ever anyone puts them in there build i always think OTT.

Last two years ive had upgrade twice, so i thought rather than just buying to accommodate what i currently have, go OTT, then i don't need to worry.

My other theory is noise, a 1050 at peak load will only have 80%, so it will match my new quiet edition SP/AS120's i installed.

I do like the AX now you pointed them out! but the Amps on that rail are a LOT lower than the 1050w, and i got two 7950's i think more AMPS will also be better.

A 860W PSU will handle those 2 GPU's even if it's just a dissent PSU. Now the AX is not just a dissent PSU. It screams quality.
You don't even need anything near 1000W. look at my system under my post. When i am gaming i use less then 400W.
and that's with a monitor and speakers. (my watt calculator is connected to everything at my desk.)

You are concerned about noise. The AX 760 (the one i have) fan first kicks in at 70% load. that's 532W.
now the 860 version is a little different. it's fan kicks in at 50%. But that's still 430W. then it starts at 20% max fan speed.
So the AX 860 is indeed a quiet PSU.
according to corsair's site the RM1000's fan kicks in at 40% load. which is 400W
Yet again according to corsair's site the the HX 1050 has a fan that starts at 20%. so that's 210W.

Here are the links.

Look at 60% load. The RM is 10db loud and the HX is 30db loud. Now look at the 860, it has ZERO db.

Last edited:
When i am gaming i use less then 400W.
and that's with a monitor and speakers. (my watt calculator is connected to everything at my desk.)

just tested it. It peeked at 350W when having "shadow warriors" open
That's only the computer and 2 input devices plugged in by USB. No monitor or speakers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom