help!: screen goes black after logon SOMETIMES

Mitsu_7G

Solid State Member
System Specs: P4 3.2ghz; 1.5GB DDR Ram; GeForce 6800; Windows XP Pro SP2

This started about a week after I got my 6800, but not one other 6800 owner has this problem, so I think it's something else. After I log in to windows I see my desktop and a split second later, the screen goes black. Nothing. Everything is still powered, and I see the HD light flickering as it continues to load everything. I press power button: nothing. CTRL+ALT+DLT: nothing. Only way to shut down is to turn off the comp with my hard power switch on my antec power supply.

This happens about 60% of the time, and some nights I sit here for 20 minutes turning the computer on and turning it off after an unsuccessfull log in (screen going black again). Some days it won't happen at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? All my drivers are up to date and this is the ONLY problem my computer has, it's built like a rock. Could it be the monitor?

edit: I've been using my crappy monitor all day, and it happened a few times tonight. Definitely not the monitor. Now I'm really stumped.

As long as you are talking about the scaled down 6800 128MB edition you should be fine. If you have a gt or ultra I would get a psu that is 550W.

CoMpUtaFrEek said:
I've heard some people having problems with that PS. Try a friends PS, if that works get a new one :)

ok, so should I get a different brand, or just another model, cause I always regarded as Antec as being the top of the line Power supply.

NO antec is one of the best brands out there.

Right now I am running a thermaltake 480w psu and it wrks great.

Antec is still better though.

I am not sure if its your psu, what type of 6800 is this?

then the psu should be large enough.

if you arent too picky or concerned with time contact evga's rma dept or tech support. Maybe they can give you a new one.

You see they use crappy 6800 gpu's in the base model. I have had two of them and both of them have had gpu's that have been stepped on by some chineseman.

I thought it was just the first one but i opened the second one up today and it had the same scrathes just not as bad.

ok, in the never ending adventure to try to figure out this problem, new light was shed on it tonight.

i had my 6800 going to my monitor, and then i had it cloning everything to my Dell 2200mp projector. I had a [somewhat] processor intensive visualization running through winamp, running at fullscreen. I had the visualization both on my monitor and both on my wall at about 80". After a few minutes, my monitor went black. I closed winamp (doing all of this via the projector) and went into GeForce 6800 settings. After about 2 minutes of double checking everything, and looking for something to blame, my monitor turns back on, out of the blue.

What does this mean? All this did was confuse me more. I hope I don't have to constantly have my projector running as a clone, cause it would get pretty expensive.

Back
Top Bottom