Help. RAM Question..

Crossfire

Beta member
Hello. I have a bunch of old RAM and was wondering if it is possible to make an old RAM stick to plug up to usb?
Like, take a stick of PC100 and maybe do something like solder a male usb end onto it somehow to use it as extra RAM or something... any ideas would be greatly appreciated..
I would just like to use it in some way, it doesnt have to be usb.
my old RAM consists of: PC100 & PC133

Crossfire

Not possible. RAM circuitry and timings make it a project that would likely be buggy and far more time consuming even guessing at the right pins, it would be more effective to just buy the flash drive (even if you want to do it for the sake of doing it)

I could work, but the USB speed whould be a hell of a lot slower then the FSB. about 1000 000 000 times slower

like your type of thinking.

Nope, not possible. RAM timings and signal paths are completely different than USB. You'd need a controller to even accomplish this, and by the time you put the money into even getting it barely possible, you'd be in over your head.

Yeah you would have to re write a program instructing the directions.. ( like BIOS).. Your computer does have plug and play that will read once that stick is in.. But then, How does your computer know what to do with a RAM stick that is plugged in?.. It would be a whole new process..

Well do you guys have any ideas of what i could use my old ram for? I'd prefer it be a useful one haha.. I have a bunch and don't want to see it go to waste.

Well anything is possible... You can figure something out.. that is if you want to play mad scientist just for the sake of it.

Maybe you can do something with it that is not PC related.. I dunno, i guess this is why you can play "mad scientist".. maybe use it for something for a "digital electronics purpose ".. Use VHDL and linux to tamper with your programming.. VHDL is pretty rad! good luck.. let us know what you might do...

I actually used to put old SIMMs on my keychain and used them as makeshift box cutters when I didn't have scissors handy. Lasted me a while until the RAM chips started falling off. :)

Back
Top Bottom