Help please

Snakebear

Solid State Member
I just bought a new Acer Laptop, I left in on all night torrenting last night a d when I woke up it was pretty much froze(I could move the mouse pointer arround but do nothign else) so I had to power down and reboot. But now its running slow, Im spiking up to 70% or more CPU usage just starting windows(64bit vista) with no major programs running. A game that i played perfectly yesterday is now lagging horribly. I didnt complete any torrents that weren't done already last night so I wouldnt think its a virus from them, and avast didnt find anything on scan. What gives?

Where did you place the laptop? It could just be a heat problem if you put it in a place that blocks airflow.

Nah it was very open and on a cooling pad, it gets way hotter playing games then it was when I woke up. Plus wouldn't it shut down if it got too hot?

See if you can run a virus scan or something. That's an odd situation. It may just be some processes in the back taking up too many resources.

Hm... that is really weird. The only thing that could have happened is a virus. Unless, indeed, it is a heating problem. You might have come close to frying something, but not gone all the way, and now your part sucks.

Restore your laptop to a day before you started the downloads.

-Q

Yea full virus and spyware scan turned up nothing (Avast home and Spybot S&D). I shut down for a half hour or so to give it a break and now it isn't spiking so bad after startup but games that were working fine yesterday are now way laggy and the same with a high def movie I downloaded. I can't see it overheating lastnight under a light load on the cooling pad in my room that was probably like 60 degrees. I guess I will try a restore and see where that gets me. It really doesn't seem like a software issue now though, considering that the CPU usage is now idling a lot lower now (5-10%) but as soon as I put a load on it it max's out. That would lead me to believe backround programs aren't eating up processing power.

Leave it off for a while. IF you're comfortable enough, open up the check if the heatsink is properly placed on the processor.

Try the restore ;)

The same thing happened to my girlfriends laptop (vista), though she wasn't downloading anything.. she's computer stupid too. I ran some scans and did everything I could to speed it up, nothing worked. I restored and BAM! It worked.

;)

-Q

Oh one other note and probably an important one, I was messing around with speed fan and some other similar utilities to try and cool it down while gaming, I know these programs have the ability to mess with the processor voltage etc but I was pretty sure I didn't mess with any of these advanced features, still I suppose it is possible damage was done in one form or another.

.. she's computer stupid too.

I'm not computer stupid...
I know a lot more then the average user =P

I'm not computer stupid...
I know a lot more then the average user =P

Sorry, sorry, I wasn't saying that YOU were computer stupid, I was just making the point that she wasn't downloading torrents and there was virtually no way for her to get a virus because all she does is Microsoft word, due to the fact of not knowing how to do anything else.

Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom