HELP! new psu, graphics card not working.

jubowden

Beta member
I've recently bought a Newegg.com - Rosewill RV2-700 700W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply and Newegg.com - ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity for my G33M03 motherboard for my Dell Inspiron 530. I've installed the PSU and graphics card and removed the old drivers and installed the new provided on the CD. My main problem is the PC not recognizing the new graphics card where my old radeon graphics card worked in the same PCIe slot. I've attached and reattached the 2 6 pin connectors to the graphics card and made sure it was firmly seated in teh PCIe slot. On start up, the computer boots a few times (assuming it's trying to from the PCIe slot first as it's enabled in BIOS to be first option) and finally boots into the on board graphics card ( i have a monitor plugged in both the new graphics card and integrated VGA port). when the system starts, the smart doctor program doesn't find an ASUS graphics card, nor does it show in device manager. my first post on a forum about this kind of subject as i thought i was pretty savvy with this stuff. your support is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried installing new drivers from the ATI website, AMD Graphics Drivers & Software. the drivers on the cd are from when the graphics card was made, them drivers may have been updated since.

Is the card showing in the BIOS, is it showing that there is a card in the slot ?

Try this and get back to me with the results

I've tried installing the drivers and software provided on the CD first. Then when it didn't work, I thought maybe the old drivers from my previous lower-grade radeon card may have been clashing so used DriverSweeper to remove all the old ATI drivers and tried from the disc yet again. The computer still didn't recognize the card being installed. So, after sweeping the computer again, i downloaded 11.2 CCC (newest version) and let it do its thing. Restarted, nothing showed again. As for BIOS, when i enter, the system info doesn't show it but i don't recall it seeing my old one either when it was running. The settings are to check the PCIe slot first before going to integrated. So when i first start the PC, I can hear the PSU/CPU fans start up a couple seconds then shut off. It does this twice then the third time it displays on the monitor i have plugged into the integrated VGA. Should the BIOS be showing the graphics card in the system info with or without the drivers installed?

Not always, depends on the BIOS.

Have you disabled on-board graphics via the BIOS ?

could it be the PSU, have you tried running the old GPU with the new PSU ?

If you have multiple PCIE slots try using one of those

I'm not sure if I remember seeing an option of disabling on board all together in BIOS but I'll restart and check after I'm finished downloading what I believe to be the same drivers from ASUS site instead of AMD. I only have 1 PCIe slot. As for the PSU, I was stupid and cocky enough to install both at the same time. I did so because the old graphics card drew power from the PCIe slot and didn't require the 4 or 6 pin molex. So I didn't think it would be an issue. Since the old graphics card was working before I put the new one in and the fan is spinning on the new GPU, I believe the problem to be with the drivers somehow. Removing the old drivers and reinstalling 100X is starting to wear on me though, your help is much appreciated. I can't seem to think of an issue the PSU might be having. The video card has 2 6 pin slots. I've tried 1 6 pin and 1 6pin+2 in the slots and 1 6pin / 6pin to 2 4 pin converter (http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pu...2aCkT0wkrMHKvqS3g-tAeNUTLjxkxW5a_Sf5jrwXFqBFG) that came with the card. Would the combination have anything to do with the computer recognizing the card?

No i dont think so, although this problem does sound to me like the graphic card is not getting enough power and instead cuting out and passing the graphics to the onboard. however you have a new PSU with the correct power conectors so i dont see why its not being picked up. as you say it must be a driver issue as the fan is running so at least some power is getting to the card. My mate had the same issue with a 2 different Nvidia cards, in the end he just changed his motherboard and it worked first time. what operating system you running and what's the motherboard model + make ?

I'm running the G33M03 (http://dz-huishou.com/bookpic/20106223104447428.jpg) default board for the Dell inspiron 530. Wanted to upgrade my gaming experience without having to dish out for a new mobo/processor/ram so i just got a new PSU since most video cards now require around 500+ watts. The default OS that came with the system was vista 32 bit, I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit as my processor was capable and i haven't had a problem gaming with the old card so i assume my drivers for the chipset are up to date. If i were to mess with the power configuration, do you think trying maybe just 1 6 pin connector or 1 converter would make a difference? The more i think about it, it does sound like an issue with power since it's not being recognized anywhere. I mean, if it were just drivers it should at least show up with a "!" in the device manager as an unrecognized device i would think. If you have any more ideas or suggestions, they would be appreciated. If not, thnx for your time and help thus far =D.

Well that what i would have thought, it shouldn't just not be recognised. is the PCI slot PCIE X16 and you could give the power supply a try.

Btw I saw this on the site you bought it from.

Cons: Mine came DOA, and the automated system is telling me I have to eat about a quarter of its cost to send it back. The fan spins, but doesn't output any display whatsoever in two different rigs. And I actually have the power connectors for this bad boy on my PSU, not to mention more than enough wattage

There are a few with this same problem. could be a manufacture problem, something wrong with the card itself.

It's a PCIe X16 slot. I'll try out the old power supply and give 'em a call. hopefully don't have to wait 2 weeks for another product. thnx again. if anyone else has any suggestions, i'll keep checking regularly until I have this sorted out. thnx again.

just thought i'd let everyone know it was DOA. thnx for the help and i hope i'm not on here in 2 weeks when i get another. thread closed

Back
Top Bottom