rjohnson2

Solid State Member
i just bought an emachines t6414, specs are

athlon 3200+ (socket 939)
1gb dual channel (4x256)
160gb hd
80gb hd
still using onboard video

i have a couple questions, first of all, the emachines came with the 160gb hd and i tried putting my 80gb from my old computer in the new emachines. i changed the jumper settings on the drives so that the 80 was the master and the 160 was the slave.(i want to be able to boot off of my old hd and reformat my 160gb) in the bios it said that the 80 was the master, 160 was the slave, but whenever i tried to boot up it would take me to the screen w/ safe mode, last knows good config., etc. i tried all the options, and none of them would boot it up, it just restarts after i select one of the options. im wondering if it has anything to do w/ switching the 80gb hd from p4 to amd or something along those lines????

next question, the emachines came w/ so much preinstalled ****, i got rid of most of it through add/remove programs, but i know theres still stuff that i don't want/need. i was wondering if anyone has gone through an emachines t series and got rid of all the unwanted ****. if someone could make a list of what is needed and what isn't, that would be great.

last question, my old computer, when idle, usually had 18 or 19 processes. the new one, even after uninstalling all the ****, still had 27 processes running when idle. if anyone knows the minimum processes needed to run windows and could make that into a list, that would be great too.

thanks in advance, ryan

You're not going to be able to boot your emachines from your old 80gig drive without formatting it first. It has drivers, system files, etc... that your new machine will not recognize. Boot from the 160gig drive with the 80gig set as a slave and pull any files from the 80 that you need and burn them to a cd or dvd. Then format both of the drives with your windows install cd.

so i format the 160gb, pop the emachines restore cd that came w/ the rig, and reinstall windows? will that be a pretty bare installation? what if i have xp pro on a cd, but its not bootable, is there any way i can install that and get rid of the xp home that came w/ it? basically the reason i wanted to do that is because of all the **** that came on the emachines. my last computer had NOTHING that wasn't needed, and not to mention all the windows settings and stuff that i was used to. i want the computer to have anything needed for windows, and whatever drivers i need, thats it. nothing else.

I'm sure that the emachines reinstall cd that came with the computer has all of the same sh*t that you don't want. A retail copy of windows would be your best bet.

well i guess i'll keep on searching around for the **** thats on there. is there a way that i can partition the 160 w/out reformatting and ****. i want to make a 10-15gb partition just for the os. another question, if i got a 512mb ddr3 video card, will i need a bigger psu? the one in there is 300W, im assuming it won't even boot w/ the card in there, but i don't know. also, would it be worth gettin a 512mb ddr3 vid card w/ the rest of the system that i have, or would the processor/ram bottleneck the vid card?

since you already have an xp home cd key, just get an xp home CD from a friend or something and reinstall windows that way.. (i think that will work). because if you use the restore CD it'll put all that crap on it. if you use xp pro you'll need a different cd key, but since you have a legit xp home anyways, stick with that!

if you want the 80gb to be the master, save all your stuff on the 160gb, and format the 80gb. if you want to keep the 160gb as the master, then go ahead and format, and install windows using xp home CD, not the restore disk..

^^so i just have to go in and find the cd key that is on there now, borrow an actual xp home disc, reinstall, except w/ my cd key and it should be a bare install?

^i just got the rig yesterday, im still using the onboard, but im looking into either the radeon x800xl, geforce 6600gt, or geforce 6800 xtreme. (all 512mb, ddr3) the onboard is the radeon xpress 200. will that affect the vid card i choose?

also, if i were to go out and buy an xp disc, and install it, how do i go about getting all the drivers i need (ie. onboard video, sound, etc...)?

rjohnson2 said:
^^so i just have to go in and find the cd key that is on there now, borrow an actual xp home disc, reinstall, except w/ my cd key and it should be a bare install?

^i just got the rig yesterday, im still using the onboard, but im looking into either the radeon x800xl, geforce 6600gt, or geforce 6800 xtreme. (all 512mb, ddr3) the onboard is the radeon xpress 200. will that affect the vid card i choose?

yes i'm pretty sure that will work.. as long as the CD you get is XP home.. but please someone else verify...

have you already "verified" your CD key? if not, don't do it just yet.. wait till you reinstall.. don't think it matters too much anyways..

as for the vid cards you chose.. i don't think any of those are 512mb ddr3.. 6600gt is a good basic card, the 6800xtreme is about equivalent to it... the x800xl lacks SM 3.0 but its quite a bit better than those other 2.

rjohnson2 said:
also, if i were to go out and buy an xp disc, and install it, how do i go about getting all the drivers i need (ie. onboard video, sound, etc...)?

i'm not saying buy an xp disc since you already have a legit CD key. borrow one from a friend or something..

as for the drivers, i'm not really sure.. if you didn't get a driver's CD, you can probably find them on the internet... windows will install the basic drivers for you to use, and you can get the latest probably from the e-machines website.. or even windows update.. or on the restore cd itself.. i'm no expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom