Help needed badly

prometheus92

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

Today I was downloading some files off of the internet, from a site (deleted), if any of you are familiar with. So I downloaded a pretty big file, and I go to extract it. It puts it in a temporary folder. Since I can't find the folder, I put it in someplace else. All the while, I keep getting asked for registry changes such as Broswer Helper Object and Winlogon (something). I denied both of them, since I feared this was some sort of virus. All of my programs were working normally and then BLAM! My entire desktop is gone. The start bar, all of the icons, but only the background remains. When you minimize an object, it just goes down into the bottom left corner, which looks something like just the toolbar of the application. I used the Alt+Cntrl+Dlt key and all of the processes were working fine. According to it, all of my files and stuff were still there! Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I am posting this from another computer and I already restarted the other one, with the same result. There is also a file i previously didn't know about: wuauclt.exe, which hogs up a lot of memory. My svchost.exe is also taking up more memory than usual

Help! Thanks,

Prometheus92

welcome to the forums !!

yeah you definitely downloaded something that had a virus in it. You can use some virus removal tools to get rid of it, good free virus program is AVG Anti Virus http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10669237.html?tag=lst-0-1

You could reformat and be sure everything is gone and clean or just do a system restore. What file or software did you download? also do not give a link to iso hunt it is illegal

jo5h, i'd have to PM you the file i downloaded

I have AVG, but it didn't pick anything up. All of the files there, and I found a way to access them via Task Manager. I deleted all of the files that i downloaded, and it is still effed.

I'll send you the PM, maybe you can guide me through

Also, i tried to end the task wuauclt.exe and it just comes back. It takes about 60k to run! This is not normal. Also, my svghost.exe is taking a huge chunk too, with 100k!!!!!!

Defiantly sounds like you got a virus, have you got a firewall installed ? did you try AVG? has it found anything, you could try system restore in ACCESSORIES to restore your computer back to a earlier date, also download a free antispyware program and run that e.g. SPYBOT http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html OR ADWhttp://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.htmlARE

thank you so much blackjack! That solved the problem!

+rep for you :D

Thanks to everyone else who tried to help diagnose it!

Bye, and thank you again!

if it ever happens again hit ctrl alt delete and under the tab file click new task and type in explorer.exe all your stuff should fire right back up

thank you so much blackjack! That solved the problem!

+rep for you :D

Thanks to everyone else who tried to help diagnose it!

Bye, and thank you again!

Your welcome, A tip whenever your download a file scan it with an upto date AV first befor you open it .

Back
Top Bottom