Help My Friend Out

english15x

BSOD
My friend has a problem and he doesnt want to make an account, maybe he will later but could you guys possibly help him.

Here's his situation ....

" I have a socket 939 amd athlon 64 processor. I inserted it, put the thermal paste on it, put the heatsink on it, a couple days later i took the heatsink off, to put more thermal paste on, but the processor came out on the heatsink, i bent a couple pins but i placed them back into the correct position, and inserted it back into the mobo, then i applied more thermal paste. Should I take it out, clean it off and reapply the correct amount of paste this time?, or just let it go. I used the entire tube of paste. I got alot of thermal paste in the heatsink's valleys. should i just buy a new heatsink ?"

Thanks guys !

Check the tempreture of the CPU. If its hot (60'C-70'C) , wipe off the thermal paste and put a small pea sized blob in the centre of the CPU and start again.

Sometimes if you add to much, It acts as an insulator and heats it up.

If the temps fine (40'C idle 50'C full load) dont touch it

whenever you take the heatsink off, wipe it off with >60% rubbing alcohol and reapply new thermal paste. And to prevent taking the whole cpu out with the heatsink, twist the heatsink off, dont pull it off.

Yeah, using a whole tube of thermal paste is a sign that you used too much. Follow what Ownage said and make sure you use a dab of the paste, which should be about the size of a rice, since you have the Athlon 64 which has the IHS, giving it more surface area. If it was a processor like the Athlon XP, with the core showing, a dab even smaller would be good. You don't want too much, or it won't conduct heat properly or efficiently, and like 99nasha said, could act as an insulator, trapping all the heat in. That would be bad.

Back
Top Bottom