Help me spend $2500 on a new game rig.

Misconception. DDR3 is just DDR2 at higher speeds. I know this sounds just like what you said, but let me give you an example. DDR goes as high as 1333MHz I think. DDR3 goes as high as 2000MHz from 1066Mhz (maybe the lower end is higher). DRR3 @ 1333MHz = DDR2 @ 1333Mhz. So no difference in speed, at same speeds. Does that make sense? And because Intel's CPUs only go as high as 1333MHz (may be 1600MHz) you can only use a max of 667MHz (or 800MHz if CPU @ 1600MHz) of RAM tops. If you buy anything higher it will bottleneck. However, I'm not sure on this number for AMDs. I still need someone to explain that to me. Can RAM use all of the listed frequency on a 2600MHz HTT or is it half? Overall, DDR3 is a waste (for Intel's) until the Nehalems come out.

What about the difference in bus speeds of DDr2 and 3? That'll make a difference. so no, NOT the same speeds. It's like saying DDR - 400 and DDR2 -400 is the same speed, and anyone who's used both will tell you it's not. It's like saying a 3.0GHZ processor on a 533 FSB (if we go back to P4 days) will run at the same speed as a 3.0GHz proc on a 800 FSB.

And anything beyond CPU clock isn't always overkill as you can change the ratio to get better rates.

What about the difference in bus speeds of DDr2 and 3? That'll make a difference. so no, NOT the same speeds. It's like saying DDR - 400 and DDR2 -400 is the same speed, and anyone who's used both will tell you it's not. It's like saying a 3.0GHZ processor on a 533 FSB (if we go back to P4 days) will run at the same speed as a 3.0GHz proc on a 800 FSB.

And anything beyond CPU clock isn't always overkill as you can change the ratio to get better rates.

Oo. Thanks for the correction. I wasn't completely aware of these bus speeds. Can you PM me an explanation in greater detail? I quickly googled it and it came up with the 4-bit (DDR2) and 8-bit (DDR3) transfer rates. So in application, would DDR3-1066 be 2x as fast as DDR2-1066 because it can deliver more information per cycle?

Back
Top Bottom