Help me POST

Half Evil

Golden Master
Ok, this is really starting to suck,

I have a Gigabte 870A-UD3 motherboard, Kingston Hyper X 2x2 DDr3 1333 memory, and an XFX Radeon HD 5750 all powered by a Corsair 750W PSU.

I have also tried two Am3 processors with this motherboard. An Athlon x2 240 and a Phenom x4 956

Its all assembled outside of the case, and the motherboard is on some cardboard. I can turn it on, the heatsink and video card fans power up but nothing ever comes on the motherboard.

I have tried both sticks of ram in every possible combination on the motherboard, tried both PCI EX slots on the motherboard for the GPU... etc.

I also have two samsung F3 harddrives and a DVD drive that arent hooked up right now because I am trying to eliminate all the extras and make it post....... nothing happens.

Where am I going wrong? Is there some trick to this???????????????

It would really help if you could plug in the case speakers so you can hear the beeps. Those usually help identify the problem. If all that doesn't work, it could be that your motherboard is bad.

All cases should have them...I think. When you connect the tiny pins (for power button, power LED, HDD LED, reset button, etc), you should also have to connect a 4-pinned one for case speakers. That will give you the beeps.

Thats what I thought. I noticed the spot on the motherboard, and my case does not provide one.

That's odd. It will be a little harder to troubleshoot. I still think that after testing all those it HAS to be either the RAM or the motherboard. Any different sticks you can test? It would be highly improbable that both sticks are bad, but doesn't hurt to double check. Ultimately, I still think the motherboard is the culprit.

......I had the exact same problem with the last motherboard. However I only had a old school PCI EX 7600GT KO. I sent that back as DOA and decided to buy a new GPU anyways.

But with this new motherboard, and new GPU, still the same problem. I guess I will buy some new sticks of ram... but wouldnt I get anything on screen even if the ram were totally bad?

Depending on how bad the RAM is, it could prevent post altogether. I'm not sure if I want to believe though that both of your sticks are bad. Not yet...

Have you tried unplugging it form power and leaving the cmos battery out for like an hour to force all BIOS settings to default?

Tried clearing them with a jumper, but I will take out the batter and leave it for a couple hours and post back

Get a small piezo buzzer with connections and hook it up to the board.

The mobo might be trying to tell you whats wrong and you can hear it.

Back
Top Bottom