Help me out! - Video Card

AmagicalFishy

Baseband Member
Hey, guys. I'm a newbie when it comes to computer-parts and the like, and am wondering if I could get anyone's help.

I'm looking at upgrading my graphics / video card, but haven't the slightest clue as to what would be a proper choice for my computer. I know if I just go all out and spend a lot of money on one, chances are, my comp. won't be able to handle it and I would have wasted a lot of money.

This's what comes up when I go into "System":

"Computer:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU
E2160 @ 1.80GHz
1.80 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Physical Adress Extension"

And, I get this from "System Information":

"OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13 GenuineIntel ~1799 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD v5.03, 2/18/2008
Available Physical Memory: 1.35 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB
Page File Space: 3.84 GB"

This from dxdiag's Display tab:

"Name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1440x900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor"

And, finally, this from dxdiag's System tab:

"...
System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
System Model: KJ389AA-ABA SR5433WM
BIOS: v5.03
Memory: 2038MB RAM
Page file: 607MB used, 3322MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)"

I tried to delete the bit of redundancy that came with all of this.

I'm sure there is more information needed, and half of this info. is probably not relevant; but I haven't the slightest of clues as to what that needed information is. :p If you're up for helping me out, and need more, feel free to request it (and, if you will, tell me how to retrieve it).

Thanks to anyone who responds. :)

A friend and I were trying to figure that out when looking inside of my computer, and we came to the conclusion that it's PCI-Express.

If PCI-E x16 1.1/2.0: EVGA/XFX/BFG/ZOTAC 8800GT (I can't remember whether it needs a separate power connector. If it does then you will have to check your PSU, if it doesn't your good to go)

look like this? the two longer ones are PCI-Express

gigabyte4-8.jpg

im guessing this is your computer?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3719122

if this is it, then this is your mobo
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01386897&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3719122

and it says you have an PCI-E X16 Slot
the 8800GT requires its own 6-pin power connector, and from what i have seen, there is a high chance that you will need a new PSU since most factory built only gives you a required psu just to run the system, one with at least 400W and 22A IIRC.
But i suggest getting an 450W with an 6-pin PCI-E Connector.

1.1/2.0: [/B]EVGA/XFX/BFG/ZOTAC 8800GT
I've not the slightest of clues what most of this means, but, I can gather that 8800GT is the model of video card. :D

I do have a 16-pin PCI-E slot, though, so, according to Teny (who hit the nail on the head w/ my computer model), I may need another power supply.

4pin_power_splitter_b.jpg

There are a couple of these loose on the inside of my computer, though. It seems like they could be a connection to the power supply; is that true? - Or do I definately need another PSU?

Also, with this upgrade, I'm assuming I should throw in a couple of extra fans for cooling.

The EVGA/XFX/BFG/ZOTAC are just different brands of the 8800GT. The 2.0/1.1 is the speed of your PCI-E port. The speeds don't really matter as they are backwards compatible.

Those cables you see loose are from your PSU; they are called 4-pin connectors. What you will need is a 6-pin PCI-E connector that looks like this:

(The one on the left of course)

It is best that you do get a new PSU, the one I linked earlier is only $40 so it's a good deal. However, there may be 4-pin -> 6-pin PCI-E adapters out there that you could buy. It would not be the best idea though as they can damage your card if it is not given enough power.

It would be a good idea to add at least another fan in there. I regret not having 3 case fans but it's not really my fault. My heatsink is too tall and prevents me from mounting a fan on the side panel. I had to remove the side air duct too.

thats not the right one, thats the molex cable.
you will need something like this, only if you PSU doesnt have one
6PCIE-BK-B.jpg

But i would recommend having a PSU that comes with its own 6-pin connector

Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502
1.1/2.0: [/b]EVGA/XFX/BFG/ZOTAC 8800GT
the 1.1/2.0 is the PCI-E slot, its kind of like a fancy term for the PCI-E X16 slot.
The EVGA/XFX/BFG/ZOTAC is the company of the card. for example, mines is the EVGA 8800GT
and you got the 8800GT is the model.

you dont need more fans, though its good, but only put some on if theres a slot, the heatsink and fan should be good for its own card so you really dont need better cooling.

what you can do is take the PSU out, and list the specs that should be on a sticker on a side.

EDIT - dang JogaBonito1502 beat me in posting again... haha.
the graphics card should come with its own molex - 6 pin PCI-E connector, unless you get like an open box or incomplete one.

Back
Top Bottom