Help me experts!

Download ad-aware, spyware doctor, and spybot from download.com, then install them and update them if need be. Run full system scans and delete whatever it finds. Then go to start>control panel>add/remove programs>and remove any programs you don't think you need or that you don't use. Also, go to start again>run>type msconfig>and then click the startup tab>uncheck any program you don't want running when you startup your computer or that you don't think you should be running. You should also do all the things TRD recommended and even do a error check of your hdd. Just go to start>open my computer>right click the hdd (should be c:) and click properties>then go to tools and do the error check. It'll say you need restart your computer in order to run the check so do it. And make sure the settings for the check have it so that it will automatically fix errors, and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. When you have both of those checked, restart and let it run. Doing all of these things will take a while, but should really help your computer.

Well for the one with the c, it only took 'bout 45 min, but for the D one it toonk like 10 secs. The C had 66% free space and the D one had 91% free space. Aand guys, do you know how to setup a LAN. Cause when it says that it's unplugged. Also do you know this thing is. It's any icon on the right of my toolbar. When I point to it (not click) with my cursor it says 10162716 bytes in, 995987 bytes out. What that mean? Also you guys no anyway to increase my internet speed. What does it mean when on point to the the Metconnect icon, it says speed: 52.0 kbps. Is that slow? When cheched my cousin's LAN is said speed: 10 mbs. But I don't use MetConnect I use Netzero Hispped. Cause its slow.... When I donwload stuff it's slow.... And right now, pop-ups are popping up like crazy....

Well are you on a wireless setup or are you directly connected from the modem to your computer?

Are you already on an exisitng network with other computers in your house? If you're not on a local network, it will say it's disconnected all the time. If you have broadband internet (cable, DSL), you are added to the internet provider's LAN.

Netzero HIgh Speed is still dial-up so not much you can do there as far as enhancing the speed. If you're transmission rate is 52kbps, it's pretty good for dial up. If your in the USA then theres a federal regulation saying you can't having any connection over 53.33333333k/s (or somewhere there). So even if you found a program to speed it up I dont see how it would help. The connection rate you get is set on the server side of the isp's servers so the only thing you could do is make your end more efficent which I don't see how thats possible.

You CAN buy a better modem though. I used to use a win modem which uses the cpu to do the work instead of doing it itself. The best I found was US Robotics. Its not a win modem (meaning its fully windows compatible but doesnt use the cpu to do its work). External ones are slower from what I hear. My downloads also seemed to increase a little bit (nothing insane).

Also see if your ISP offers 56k v2. It makes it a bit faster and if so then you might want to consider upgrading to that. Besides that, theres nothing else I know of that will have a signifigant improvement. You could try and tweak the registry settings a bit but it wont help too much.

Well thanks guys I took some of your advice. It seemed to work. A lot less pop-ups now, and the comp seems a bit faster.

Back
Top Bottom