Help me decide TF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well putting 1.4v+ on a i5 is outrageous for a 4.2 GHz overclock on air. And if your watercooling and occasionally using a phase I can't help but think you need to use a better motherboard. Every i5 750 I've seen would hit the 4 to 4.2 GHz range with less than 1.325v on air.

Every i5 750 ive seen wont go past 3.8ghz on anything less than 1.35v and ive had an i5 since they came out (well a month after, same difference). The guy i got this motherboard from had his 750 at 4.3ghz under air with 1.4v but every chip is different. Like my previous i5 wouldnt go past 4ghz on air but i almost got 5ghz under phase. And this particular motherboard has only seen air besides that little bit with water which is what screwed this chip up. My eVGA board was screwed up by water cooling only because i was screwed by another person giving a shoddy sale. (Over torked a tin/aluminum barb before sending it my way. It snapped and spewed water all over my eVGA board and that borked 280 i was talking about killing it the rest of the way)

Lags with my settings and quality desires and as i just found out STILL freezes after 30 mins of Vegas gameplay. Getting my old i3 back so this is a wrap. My friend got my 4.4ghz clock and raised it to 4.6 using the same board and inferior RAM. Ill see if i can top that (granted i got 5ghz but with a suicide run).

Its not just the settings. Its the fact that i have a res of 2048x1152 and i like to utilize that and i built a machine to do just that. At nominal performance i can play all my favorite games at that res with at least 8xAA and be fine. Now i cant, its only natural to want that performance back if at all possible. My friend knows exactly whats wrong with my CPU and doesnt care so were cross trading. The i3 was enough for 4 months with a 4890 and 2 5770s while waiting on my first chips RMA. I think itll be fine again with a more powerful single GPU.

Thats why ive had the same rig for over a year right? And im also now technically downgrading..... Im getting the i3 so i can simply game without freezing at higher clock speeds. The i5 is going in his HTPC so no harm done. Theres a 95% chance i wont be getting Sandy Bridge when it comes out so this i3 will have to tide me over till i CAN get it. If i had a faulty i5 i couldnt clock thats about 6 months of gaming at stock at medium settings and lower res on a rig thats always been capable of max settings in everything. I really dont see why its a bad thing that i require the performance out of my rig that i know is there and has been since august when my gf won me the 465.

Also if i was chasing the newest tech id be rocking an i7 for all its worth on the X58 platform which isnt necessary.

chill.......... relax we always want better but sometimes you have to accept its not achievable, you stated you are a short on budget and thus perhaps waiting for tech is the best option my rig has been sitting in storage for 1.5 years and thus the components are now next to worthless but it is still a brilliant machine.

Never said my machine wasnt good as i had stated when working properly it maxes all games. I had a 939 rig for years before upgrading. I dont upgrade to the newest tech as soon as it comes out but if things start failing before launch the new stuff looks more appeasing. Not only that, but ive spent little to nothing on my rig because i either trade or sell to upgrade instead of outright buying. To understand better my original intentions where to sell this CPU, get a new one, RMA my eVGA board, and sell the board and CPU later to afford the new stuff. According to articles the K class i5s are supposed to be cheaper retail than the current i5 quads. And that black Gigabyte board looks sexy. Not to mention, by the time they are released i technically will be able to afford it outright but i have more important things to spend hard cash on than PC stuff.

@Soul
I already said twice it was a wrap, and that i was trading for my old i3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom