Help me buy a new PC?

Georgio

Solid State Member
Buying a new computer, just for home use a few games here and there , but I want a good transcoding/encoding speed, for DVD authoring but not writing (eg. on nero, (but I don't use nero))... here is a typical package offered in my area... please tell me... if it's a good price, and what i should upgrade to get high encoding speeds... Not bothered about HDD space I've got loads already.

Processor - Intel Petium D820 2.8ghz Processor
Motherboard - Asus P5VD2-MX SE Mainboard (VIA P4M890)
RAM - 512MB PC-5300 DDR2-667 Ram
Drive - (Choice of brand) 18x DVD-RW Rom
HDD - Seagate 80GB SATAii-300 HDD
Displaycard - Getforce 7300GS 256MB Display
Case - GTR or 2The Max case
And all the rest... ie. Floppy drive, Sound card, ethernet card, 8x 2.0 USB ports, keyboard mouse and speakers... but no monitor

The price comes to around US$360

You want a really fast processor to be able to encode videos quickly. You might want a Core 2 Duo instead of the Pentium D.

And at least 1 GB of RAM will probably be necessary as well. Video editing requires higher end computers, what kind of software are you going to be using?

Yeah, drop the D switch to something a little more reliable ( I have a D, it gets the job done) but you would find It loads beeter getting a Duo or a P4.

you might want another graphics/video card, i never really was a fan of the built in the mobo thing.

Ok thanks for all the comments, the reason I called it a display card is because I'm just copying the info from the handout at the shop. The handout actually says mainboard instead of motherboard atleast I picked up on one.

What kind of software are you going to be using? I stay away from Nero but everyone seems to know it. It used to good to me but I don't know what happened these last few years. It's shame because I really like how easy it is to use. I use MuxMan DVD, Dvd flick atm and another one but forgot the name.

Will go for 1gb RAM, and

Which direction is better if we keep all other factors the same?... please explain

1. ASUS M2V Socket AM2 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor
or
2. ASUS P5GZ-MX LGA 775 Intel 945GZ uATX Form Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 Processor

I think the first option is cheaper.

Ok thanks for all the comments, the reason I called it a display card is because I'm just copying the info from the handout at the shop. The handout actually says mainboard instead of motherboard atleast I picked up on one.

What kind of software are you going to be using? I stay away from Nero but everyone seems to know it. It used to good to me but I don't know what happened these last few years. It's shame because I really like how easy it is to use. I use MuxMan DVD, Dvd flick atm and another one but forgot the name.

Will go for 1gb RAM, and

Which direction is better if we keep all other factors the same?... please explain

1. ASUS M2V Socket AM2 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor
or
2. ASUS P5GZ-MX LGA 775 Intel 945GZ uATX Form Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 Processor

I think the first option is cheaper.

True, but your second option is considerably more cost effective.

You'll want a better graphics card too, a 7300GT at least, if you're on a decent budget, 7950GT or X1950PRO (ATI)

Back
Top Bottom