Help making index view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antoshi

Beta member
Hi.

I'm trying to attempt a really simple task (at least it seems simple), but it's become incredibly difficult for me. I'm trying to make an index/directory page (like this one for example) but I'm stuck on how to do it. I've been told to upload my files, then erase/delete the index.html file, but that isn't helping.

I've also been told that some webservers don't have Auto-indexing in their configuration files. So, I would also need help finding one that does have auto-indexing.

Thanks!!

Its basically a web server config... some webservers allow people to view directories without a default page (such as index.html) some don't. The reasons are because its a potential security risk to have you files exposed... There are php options that can emulate this if you're unable to have your webserver configed to do this.

Well I don't own a webserver. I'm basically just using free webhosts. And I'm wondering if any of them have that feature.

Wait a minute...

Yer talking about yer index.html file, which is usually the root file of your site on a server (unless the host has the server setup to point to something else, like home.html, etc).

If you delete your index.html file, people going to your base URL, won't see a site. It'll either echo the directory, or blow up to a 40X message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom