help in registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango71

Beta member
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to solve this problem for quite sometime now and after all the post that I have posted in several forums I was led to this particular forum by way of a website that held info about IE tips. Anyways, I have XP Pro and I use IE. I have noticed that I have difficulty updating info, uploading images and updating my system through my browser. When I update or upload, the page will often expire and not complete the task. I decided to update my OS to see if that will help but I found out that I began to freeze up when I am being scanned for updates.

I was then lead to this artcile found in microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q318378 explaining how to reinstall or repair IE. I began to read the instructions til I got to this part

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK. <-------this is where I got confused. What is the value data? If you look at all the numbers above you will notice that there are more than one 1 and 0. I hope someone here with a great deal of knowledge in registry editing can help me out. Thanks for reading.

Oh...I get it..what you are looking for is the not in the name of the key but the values in the right pane....
There are basically 3 types of em'....String value, Binary value and DWORD value...
what you have to change is the "IsInstalled" DWORD value from 1 to 0...you can do this by double clicking on it and changing the Value Data ....keep it Hexadecimal ...dont change it.

If you cannot find what I am talking about ..then find the coreesponding key given as in the instruction and then single click on it ...yuo can then see the "IsInstalled" key in the right pane....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom