HELP! I want the same stuff from my old OS to Vista beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jathesan

Beta member
Hey I just finished installing Windows Vista Beta 2 today i also had to change my harddrive from a FAT32 to a
NTFS partition. Well its all finished and Windows Vista 2 Beta works really well and everything its just i forgot to backup my files from my old Windows XP Home Ed before I installed Windows Beta 2

Now i cant get any of my pictures, music, videos, important documents, and my installments.. I forgot to back these all up.

When I turn my computer on it gives me an option to go to Windows Xp Home Ed my previous one.. But when i do. It gives me nothing but a black screen.

My main goal is to get EVERYTHING from my Old operating system to Windows Vista Beta 2

have you tried booting to the XP partition and saving all your data to a USB drive or a CD?

Are the two operating systems on seperate drives or one partitioned drive?

Did you format your drive? Did you install Vista on the same drive as your XP? If so it might be that your data is lost.

When working with Vista or any Beta OS for that matter it is imparative that you partition your HDD before you install it. That way you will still have your old OS on there in case.

Were all the files stored in your My Documents folder? If so you might be able to take ownership of it from within Vista. But since you failed to backup and XP isnt booting you might have lost it all...

Well i installed vista on the same HD i only have one HD WHen i boot it up it gives me a choice of Microsoft Windows (Vista) and Earlier version of Windows ( my old OS). And when i go to my old OS it gives me a blank screen

Okay so are all the files saved in the XP My Documents folder?

I am thinking that the Vista install kinda messed your system up. It is never recommended to install 2 OS's on the same hard drive.

Thanks for all your help. I asked my brother and he found a file in Vista C: Windows and it had Windows.Old and those where the files i had from my old OS so now i have em but i need to install it all again

Thanks for your time and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom