Help I need sound!

Alright i've got the X-Fi Xtreme Music setup with Vista Home Premium 64bit. I downloaded Creatives driver. I can't get to a option to select digital output for my speakers. I tried installing some of the software from the original X-fi disc. Everything will install but sometimes the programs lock up. I managed to get the older software with the creative console setup to come up and changed it to a digital output. I ran the test and got my speakers to work. The next day I went to use my computer I turned it on and the sound isn't working. Now it doesn't matter what options I choose I can't get the sound to work.

Anybody else have this problem or figure out a solution. Like I said I did have it working for a short time. Not sure what would cause it to mess up. Should I just uninstall all the sound components and try re installing everything?

I guess I should include that I've got a dual boot setup XP on one HD and Vista on another. X-fi works fine when I boot in XP.

I've heard the digital output option doesnt work with Vista as of yet. Even the Digital fix made for xp (that sticks the digital output settings after reboots doesnt work for Vista)

I'm trying to find some help on the net, if i do ill post it back here or pm u.

Apparntly SPDIF passthrough forces the use of digital but as of the latest drivers...

SPDIF passthrough is supported on Vista 32-bit only

:( this is why i dont use vista yet, coupled with my Graphics card, it makes my pc useless.

Thanks for the info. I saw something along those lines when I downloaded the driver from creative. Not to big a deal I guess. Just sucks if I want to play music i've gotta boot in XP. Like I said I got it to work 1 time. But i'm guessing it wasn't a good thing cause I had a heck of a time rebooting in vista. I had to run safe mode a few times and screw around with some settings until I got it to boot again. Since then I havn't had any boot prob's but I've had no sound.

Yeah kinda sucks doesnt it. Shame cos apart from the sound and the Gfx Vista ran much better than XP on my pc and i love the look of it. I just hope they dont leave the drivers like they have on XP. The XP drivers for X-fi suck too and they havent bothered fixing them.

Ya thats the biggest problem with vista are the drivers. I know Asus has some beta drivers out for the intergrated sound but I don't want to pull my sound card out just to try there drivers on intergrated sound. My X1650 Pro seems to do alright with HIS drivers. Get some reliable sound and i'm good to go!

Good luck! Hope u get it all working soon or afix comes out at least. Or perish the thought... Creative actually make a good driver.

Just figured I'd put this fix up for anybody with the same setup. I just found this today and i'm quite happy! Go to your control panel click your sound options. Note you should be doing this after you have creatives driver installed. Double click on Speakers should say Creative SB X-Fi next to the pic. After you double click on it click on the custom tab and enable Digital IO. Woot finally sound!!! :) I love answering my own question lol.

Back
Top Bottom