Help!!! How to package music that old people can play

Mrman5000

Beta member
So my dad is in his seventies he has a flip phone and his clueless about any kind of technology you recently moved to Atlanta from baton rouge he loves Cajun music but he no longer can get it on the radio so he asked me to make him some tapes. The problem is making a tape or CD is really not an option anymore can anyone tell me how I could put music on a memory stick or data SD card that will play in a stereo system that he could operate?

It's hard to understand exactly what you mean and want to do, but I see no reason why you can't do it.
Of course you can, if you or your dad have a device to listen to these recordings.
I still don't understand what "flip phone" means in your sense and how it is related to listen music.
Maybe You should or can clarify it a bit.

Okay so I'll try and explain my situation a little better. When I made the reference to a flip phone that's the old school phones that you flip the top down it's a non smartphone anyway I made the reference because listening to the music on his phone is not an option and he doesn't have a stereo or any type of listening device as of yet I'm going to go purchase whatever equipment I need that's why I'm reaching out for some advice I don't know the best format to use to download music nor do I know what device I could play the music on in other words if I download it to a smart card or a disc or something of that nature I then have to find the device that will play that now the obvious choice would of course be to listen to the music via Bluetooth but the problem is my father doesn't have internet nor does he know how to connect to Bluetooth so that would not work it would have to be something simple such as turning the power on and pushing the play button thank you for responding and I hope this clarifies the situation a little better

If you are willing to purchase what equipment you need, then I'm guessing with your self posting this on the forums for help you have internet access. I need to ask, is your internet access say threw a smartphone or are you on an actual laptop or desktop computer. How are you getting access to this forum. I ask this because if you are on a laptop or a desktop computer this will change things as in how you are able to get the music you want.

Do you know what equipment you want to purchase, I do not see why you could not download your music in MP3 format, save this to a USB memory stick and depending on what equipment you purchase listen to it that way. If you wish to purchase say an SD Card, do you have say a TV set that accepts SD Cards as a way to listen to the music.

This depends on what you want to do. It will depend on what equipment you want to buy and how you have the means of downloading your music .

The question you are asking is very opened ended. What I'm saying is their could be at least half a dozen ways I can just think of off the top of my head.

Can I ask, if you are using an actual desktop computer or laptop to access this forum; are you running any version of Microsoft Windows. If so, then I don't see why MP3 cant be the format of choice.

This depends on what equipment you want to purchase and also how you want to download it \ save it \ listen to it .

Last edited:
Yes I have a smartphone and a laptop and I am computer literate it's my 70-year-old father that's not so I can download the music from my laptop I guess to an SD card and I am willing to spend upwards of $200 on a piece of equipment that will play it simply for him in other words he could plug the thing in and if he could push a play button somewhere that will do just fine if he has to go through a bunch of stuff like connecting via Bluetooth or going through menu options to get to the music he's not going to be able to do that he gets very frustrated so I need something simple it could be difficult for me getting it to him in other words whatever I need to do to get it downloaded is fine I can do that but once I get to him it needs to be a pretty simple process of him plugging it in and pushing a button and that's that's it and my budget it's about $200 I've already purchased the SD stick it's a 16 GB USB 2.0 flash drive so I see that there are actual old school boomboxes that I could plug the thing into and I've seen speakers standalone speakers that you can plug it into not sure which would be the most easiest for him to operate is there a third option that I'm missing appreciate you responding and I look forward to your reply

There are some MP3 players in the form of old tape players. Some of them are easy to use and resemble old style players that your father could be familiar with, if that's the issue. They come in different sizes so some can be carried around easily. Something like this:
TY_CKU310.jpg

You can fill a USB stick with MP3's of your choice and just plug it in.

Thanks for the response. I have decided to go with your advice and purchase the unit at best buy. Quick question, if I download the songs from youtube will it also record the video and is youtube the best source for downloading?

You Tube kinda sux as far as music quality... For 10 cents a song and most albums are $1.00 you can legally get your music from Golden MP3
https://www.goldenmp3.ru/
Yes... it is a Russian web site. But Russia does not pay the promoters or the RRIA. The profits go to the musicians along with what they make. The U.S RRIA has no jurisdiction outside of the U.S.A. in Russia. It has already been through the courts. This is legitimate.

Last edited:
Personally I find the audio encode settings on 480p Youtube videos more than good enough. Last I checked it's Stereo 16-bit 128 kbps 44.1KHz, which is CD Audio quality. More than enough for small units like those. Honestly, it's more than enough per se, unless I want to just compare and criticize, not listen. You can first listen to it on Youtube and if you like it, you can download it and rip the audio in MP3. Don't re-encode, just rip. Youtube is video only. And try to stick with .mp4 videos, not .mkv. For some reason I see the latter harder to deal with in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom