Help find a "cure"

Ive just installed the FAH client, always wanted to fold SETI but never got round to installing.

but Coronavirus and other diseases area good cause

It is, I was nearing 100k points a day with my limited hardware, and now FAH estimates 3k a day... However, still a good thing that units are being done fast.

Everyone but one or two CPU's keeps going idle...

I have the following going...

Ryzen 1300x
1650 4GB
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
nVidia 8600M?
and some kinda FX cpu...

Not much, poor little core 2 duo can only do like 300 points a day xD

Last edited:
Before I left work I exited out of the programs on each machine and started them back up to get units. I noticed the longer you go without a unit the longer the attempt retry counter goes up. The one on my main machine at work was up to 24 hours.
I have 3 HP Z4s running with no CPU. 2 RTX 2080s and 3 Quadro P4000s limited by PCI-E power connectors. Est PPD for each RTX 2080 is over 1 mil but no units means I don't even get close. I definitely think the Tensor and RT cores are being used because it takes the 2080s less than an hour to complete a WU whereas it takes 10-14 hours on each P4000.

Since I'm a "vet" to these guys now compared to the first 2 years I was there I'm trying to get HPs new Threadripper machines with RTX 8000s in each :lol: I wrote an LM Commit just for Coronavirus and how the "Lockheed Martin Fort Worth iLabs are participating in group computational computing to help find a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, and more...". These people will eat up ANYTHING that's good publicity and toss cash at anything that looks good to investors. Cross your fingers bois.

I wish the program didn't increase the wait time for checking in with the server again, one my machines ended up on a 2 day wait, rebooted and immediately got a CPU WU.

From my understanding, the FahCore works using OpenCL, so if those Tensor and RT cores can process anything dealing with OpenCL or give a boost it would make perfect sense why an RTX card rapes when folding.

The OpenCL thing is why most older cards will never get a WU, though they could in the past. It's more of a "Universal" thing so the FAH team isn't having to code for specific GPU's anymore.

EDIT: From my 5 second google search, it looks like Tensor cores will dramatically boost some OpenCL tasks. Would explain why it takes my poor 1650 around 5-6 hours for a single WU.

Last edited:
Mine get stuck on occasion, usually because the connection falls flat. Overloaded servers going out, overloading servers going in, I suppose. Sometimes it takes an hour before one will upload properly.

From the looks of mine, I haven't had any issues getting work the last day. In fact, it looks like my machines are grabbing new WU's about 30 minutes to an hour prior to estimated finish so that they aren't sitting idle.

Back
Top Bottom