help figuring out what I can get for memory

Shibari

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension XPS 600, 32 bit with 1GB memory, 512 in two slots leaving two slots free.
I want to add more memory. The Owner's Manual says my computer will support a maximum of 2GB memory. ( I am suffering from 64 bit envy at the moment wishing I could go with 8GB :( )
I went to Crucial and scanned my system, I got the following recommendations, 3GB, 5 GB and 8GB ... another pang of envy...
Also stated on Crucial was this bit of info.. "How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB."
Which brings me to my question, can I run the 3GB or just 2GB?
I am not very computer savvy but I am trying hard to learn, please be patient. :D

its a question of whether your motherboard can support more than 2gb. since it specifically states a max of 2gb, you can only put in 2gb regardless if windows can recognize more

What do you mean by your computer?
Does it say that on your Motherboard specification or on your operating system?
If it's motherboard, no you cannot, you motherboard won't read it, it's useless.
However if you put 4 gigs in a 32 bit system technically it only "Accesses" 3.2 gigs or around those lines, BUT if you have four gigs in, some will be taken by your onboard or graphics card and other expansion cards, so you may end up utilizing all 4 gigs of memory.
The above works with a 32 bit system, but if your motherboard only supports two gigs, don't bother :)

How do I find the specifications to know what my motherboard is capable of? I have lots of numbers and info, I just don't know how to make sense of it. I've run CPU-Z which gives me lots of information I don't know how to use.

How do I find the specifications to know what my motherboard is capable of? I have lots of numbers and info, I just don't know how to make sense of it. I've run CPU-Z which gives me lots of information I don't know how to use.

Just tell us your Motherboard brand and model number, we'll do the rest.:cool:

Whyfly, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and I will be going with what you recommend. I don't know why but I am floored just how cheap it is going to be! After just getting a new graphics card I expected somewhere around that range. Glad I was wrong though. Again, thank you very much and have a great evening. :)

Whyfly, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and I will be going with what you recommend. I don't know why but I am floored just how cheap it is going to be! After just getting a new graphics card I expected somewhere around that range. Glad I was wrong though. Again, thank you very much and have a great evening. :)

No problem, all in a Nerd's Work :D
RAM is pretty cheap, unless your going for the HIGH HIGH end.
Good luck with the RAM!

Back
Top Bottom