help desk question

chara33

Daemon Poster
How would you answer the following question for a help desk person.

A printer is now printing. How would you answer it?

1.Is the printer turned on?
2. Take down their name?
3. Was that person's PC assigned to that speific printer?
4. Was the printer out of paper?

Your answer is?

Maybe I am dense but I can't make sense of exactly what you are asking. Could you clarify?

Maybe I am dense but I can't make sense of exactly what you are asking. Could you clarify?

If you ever have a word document that was supposed to print when you hit print and it doesn't.
Normal errors are out of paper, out of ink, print cache has too many jobs from previous attempts to print, after getting fixed.
Or more apparent the usb or parallel cable is not plugged in.
@chara: I would choose 4 right away before any other answer.

Sorry...question should be:

A printer is not printing. How would you answer it?

2. Take down their name?

Your answer is?

I would usually ask the following:

Are you presented with an error ?
When was it last working ?
Can you print from other applications ?
What is the printer name ?
What is your name and ext. number ?

More often that not I will take their PC number down so I can remote in using VNCViewer and take a look myself. It is often a case of the printer has not been added, or it is out of ink or paper. Or they are printing through Citrix, and they just need there sessions restarting.

A printer is now printing. How would you answer it?

2. Take down their name?

Your answer is?

Ask there name (any other info needed)
Ask the computer name
Ask what lights are on the computer.
(There is an out of paper light on the printer also)

2, 1, 4, 3

Mostly, because if it becomes a long conversation, you WILL eventually forget someones name. Not very professional to do that, so having note of name first will help greatly.

1 came second because, well, printers come unplugged, storms turn them off sometimes, many things happen, but a printer being off is COMMON.

4 is third because some printers, especially larger laser printers, it can be very difficult to check paper levels, and not all have warning lights.

Three last, mostly because if they print, well, the printer selected would be assigned, would it not? The more appropriate question would be, if it passes the top three, is if the printer is marked as ONLINE in printer properties on the PC, as it can sometimes switch to OFF due to some buggy drivers/software.

Next would be, did they even print to the proper printer if it's a network printer? They could have accidentally sent the job to a printer 10 floors away in a corporate environment and would never know, thinking the local printer is messed up.

2, 1, 4, 3

Mostly, because if it becomes a long conversation, you WILL eventually forget someones name. Not very professional to do that, so having note of name first will help greatly.

1 came second because, well, printers come unplugged, storms turn them off sometimes, many things happen, but a printer being off is COMMON.

4 is third because some printers, especially larger laser printers, it can be very difficult to check paper levels, and not all have warning lights.

Three last, mostly because if they print, well, the printer selected would be assigned, would it not? The more appropriate question would be, if it passes the top three, is if the printer is marked as ONLINE in printer properties on the PC, as it can sometimes switch to OFF due to some buggy drivers/software.

Next would be, did they even print to the proper printer if it's a network printer? They could have accidentally sent the job to a printer 10 floors away in a corporate environment and would never know, thinking the local printer is messed up.

Exactly this; same order that I said above lol.

Back
Top Bottom