Help! Computer shuts off in the middle of game

Swiney52

Solid State Member
I just built myself a new pc and everything loaded up fine and had no problems building it. I loaded Starcraft 2 last night and the game runs fine until you actually start playing a match. It will let you play for anywhere from 1 min to 10 mins then the computer shuts off for about 5 seconds then turns back on. Any suggestions would be apprecitated.
*Update* I have found that if I run the game and start a match then minimize the game it continues to run and doesn't shut the computer down, but if I pull the game back up it will shut the computer down within a minute. I also tried turning down the graphics settings and that made no difference.

Heres a list of the parts I used
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D
CPU: i7 930 2.8 GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB, 2 sets for 8GB total
Video: Sparkle SXX4601024D5UNM GeForce GTX 460
Audio: Asus Xonar DX PCIe 7.1
PSU: Thermaltake TRX-1000M 1000 Watt
For hard drive I have a Western Digital 160GB drive that I loaded the OS on and then a Western Digital 500GB drive for secondary and the game is loaded on that drive.
Running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

My friend had this problem and i found out the cpu was getting hot and would shut down might be the same situation for you..i would say see what the temp you are getting.

that was my first thought but I checked the temps and they don't go much above 40C which isn't much above the idle temp

Can you check what the error code is?

Does it do anything strange right before it crashes? Artifacts? noises? Anything?

Do you have another PSU you can try? I've found thermaltake PSUs to be really iffy.

Yea i would try mem test also...But Gibson if the video card over heats will the comp still shut down? not sure never happened to me on that one.

Yea i would try mem test also...But Gibson if the video card over heats will the comp still shut down? not sure never happened to me on that one.

I'm not really sure to be totally honest, I've never had it happen to me. I believe it would just crash, or maybe BSOD, I don't think it would shut the comp down though. Might be a BIOS setting that would shut down if it reached a certain temp though. Tbh it sounds like a memory issue to me.

I did a mem test and did not get any errors. The game runs perfectly fine and then it just shuts the comp down, there are no errors or lag or any sort of sign that it is about to happen, it'll be running fine one second and the next it's just shut down. I don't think the video card is over heating cause i don't think it's running long enough to create that much heat. I'll still check it but do any of you know a good program to use to check that, preferably one that is free.

Don't know where to put this question....can anyone helP???

When moving, scrolling around I see a little box? Does anyone know what this is? Sometime it prevents me from scrolling.

Thank You for your reply

Back
Top Bottom