Help choosing RAM

keag

Baseband Member
hey all
i'm Planing on getting an msi 790fx and in the specifications it states it supports DDR3 1333mhz and 1600mhz (OC).

the price of these different RAM's are very similar so that leaves me with the question... whats the catch on getting 1600mhz RAM? does it mean the motherboards lifespan is decreased because you have to overclock to get to 1600mhz? or will it defualt to 1333mhz?

any help would be very helpful:) :)

would i need a bios update to run 1600mhz on it?

well just as you said the price is very similar
but that advantage is that your CPU will read the faster RAM
making a small differance in performance
but a decreased mobo lifespan?
i doubt it
i would just get the 1333 and be happy

thats what i was going to do to be on the safe side but i'm still not sure on what to get. the 1333mhz would be a safe buy but if i could get 1600mhz RAM for the same price that defults at 1333 i could use it for future builds aswell. plus the 1600 reviews seem to be better than the 1333 at least for corsair they are... =/

i would like the option to overclock yeah

but can you get 1600mhz ram to run at 1333mhz on this board? and then overclock it to 1600 later on?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MSI-AM3-MOBO-790FX-GD70

You can run the 1600Mhz RAM on that mobo @ 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz. All depends on the RAM divider setting in the BIOS that you choose.

And the 1600Mhz RAM won't restrict your OC in the future.

That MSI board is nice. Have you looked at this one... Asus Crosshair III Formula.

What CPU are you going with?

thank you ever so much...

i looked at all the am3 790fx boards i could find and eventually the msi won me over due to its good value and good reviews. but would u say the that asus is worth that extra bit then?

i plan on putting a phenom 2 x4 3.2ghz or maybe a 3.4ghz.

thank you ever so much...

i looked at all the am3 790fx boards i could find and eventually the msi won me over due to its good value and good reviews. but would u say the that asus is worth that extra bit then?

i plan on putting a phenom 2 x4 3.2ghz or maybe a 3.4ghz.

Before my upgrade, in the sig, I was going to go for an AM3 set up.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Asus Crosshair III Formula
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3, PC3-12800 (1600)

All the reviews I read were good about both of them but got swayed to go with the Asus board. The 125W AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition is a great improvement over the 140W version, and it will hit 4.0 Ghz, and the RAM will give you room to OC.

do you reckon

MSI 790FX
AM3 Phenom 2x4 3.2ghz
Corsair DDR3 1600
1GB ASUS 5770

would be a good match?

Back
Top Bottom