Help ASAP

BamaFan29891

In Runtime
Hey guys, my sister has a Compaq Presario ---- and she wants to restore it fully to the factory settings, but she can't find her recovery or os cds. Isn't there an F button you can press to start the recovery on boot? Any help?

i know dell has a pc restore option, but the Compaq Presario doesn't as far as i know....is it running windows xp? if so, maybe xp's system restore could help you.

linnerd40 said:
Use system restore, and select the eariliest date you can.

as much as we would like to beleive thats as good as reformatting, it usually isn't. if you have a limit on the size of system restore files your computer may store, (which most computers do unless you change the setting), then your earliest system restore date may very well be nowhere near the factory settings.

I beleive that compaq presario's hardware prevents it from running windows xp. so i'm going to assume your using an older model of windows. sometimes computer companies will stick the windows cd key on the case itself. If you can find this, and confirm which version of windows you have I think i can walk you through how to reformat even though you've lost your cd.

also if you have some kind of technical support id tag on your computer, if you call up compaq, give them your technical support id number, they can confirm that you purchased the computer, and tell you your cd key and even send you another copy of the reformat cd.

do you have a service id tag or a cd key located on the sticker of your case. Often located on the top or back of the computer, but check the sides and underneath the case too.

Don't wast your time with HP (they own Compaq). Go to the website: http://www.restoredisks.com/ and hope that your system is listed. You can also get a program off of the net that will display your Windows Key. I assume that you have Windows XP Home Edition. The Windows Key should be on the computer case somewhere. Your last option if you can not buy another set of restore CD's is to use a XP Home Edition CD and install a fresh copy. Change the CD Key to match the key that belongs to that system and then register the computer again with Microsoft. That will allow you to download all of the updates that are needed. You will have to go to Compaq and download the needed drivers for the Video, Sound, Modem, Etc. That is the only thing that they will provide you with. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom