Help ASAP! Win 7 problem!

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Alright, this is the 2nd problem I've had with Win 7 the first being minor but this recent problem being quite serious.

I am now using my father's computer I built for him because I cannot start up on my main rig viva Win 7 or Vista. I have them both on dual boot.

What happened -

I was playing WoW windowed and had firefox open with 3 or so windows open. As I was making something in WoW (Leatherworking - Creating Cured Heavy Hide) I switched to the Firefox window and everything froze. Audio started looping and the Control+alt+delete combinations weren't getting any responses.

I left the computer for about 15-20 minutes to see if it would solve the problem on it's own but when I came back I find the audio has stopped looping and it was still frozen as a bug.

I restart the computer, come up to the boot screen and I hit enter on Win 7. I get a message(I'll get the exact wording soon) saying I can't boot from that drive etc. I restart again and go start up onto Vista and it freezes when the little bar comes up. I wait about 5-8 minutes and nothing happened. Restart again.

I get my Win 7 DVD and boot up from that and go to repair installation and "Find problems with startup" and the one problem I get is "Boot file corruption" (Not exact words again). It supposedly fixed it and for the hell of it I run a memory test. Memory test comes back with nothing wrong and I still can't boot to Win 7.

I need some idea's on what the hell happened. I'll get back to you guys as soon as I get the correct words etc.

Sounds like the hard drive is damaged or corrupted. I've had that problem before with previous computers in the past, and it almost always resulted in repairing/replacing a hard drive.

You could also check if the connections are secure. That's always worth a try.

Yeah, like the post above double check the connections - maybe something is a little loose?

Listen closely to the HDD when turning on the computer and listen for any strange noises. Usually if a HDD is going to fail, you'll hear noises coming from it (obviously different noises then the usual running noises.)

If the HDD seems good and the connections are secure, there could possibly be a problem with having Windows 7 and Windows Vista on the same computer. If you didn't install 7 before Vista, that can screw up your boot loader.

Otherwise, try to find the site for the Windows Ultimate Boot CD. Download the files, throw them on a CD/DVD, and boot to the computer using that. From there you can perform tasks to help bring your computer back to a working state. If you can boot to the Ultimate Boot CD, try scanning for Viruses. Could possibly be that you got a virus and it has messed up your boot loader (sometimes the Conflicker virus can do this.)

Reply when you've tried these suggestions, and if your computer still doesn't work, we can go from there.

Usually if a HDD is going to fail, you'll hear noises coming from it (obviously different noises then the usual running noises.)

Look specifically for any clicking sounds. Almost always guarantees a failing hard drive.

Alright, I truly hope it isn't a HDD failure because that would completely suck. I have all my music on my 250Gb HDD but this is my 1TB drive that my Win 7 partition is on and I have quite a lot of crap on that. Thankfully I believe I installed my WoW game on my B-drive

Anyway, I have the following problem which I found some other guy had on this site - Link -

Yes you are right about the SATA drivers. I loaded them up when requested, the drive was found with Vista on it but strangely in a column in the window it stated it was 0Mb in size.

I attempted a repair but it failed and in the log it said

Root cause found

Boot configuration is corrupt

Repair action: partition table repair

Result: failed error code=0x490

And now when I try to go into my System Restore thing I get a error saying Parameter Incorrect - (0x80070057)

I can open up a CMD on the x Drive which the Win 7 partition is installed on and I come up with the following starting line - X:\Sources>
I have pretty much no experience under CMD commands so I'm not sure here . . . .

Update - I turned everything off and unplugged the computer except for the USB crap(I always have problems when I unplug that stuff) and I'm letting the room the computer's in cool down. It hit around 84F or 29C and the CPU heatsink seemed a bit too hot/warm. The video card is normally hot around 60-50C so that was good when the Comp was running. Overall I'll do a cold reboot and wait for the room to cool down a bit.

The only 2 reasons I could see why my Vista partition wouldn't boot up would be a MBR corruption but I forgot if that was ever mentioned on the computer. The other problem would be the computer just froze from heat after all my CPU is oc'ed 200mhz viva the hyperthreading speed bus.

So in time I'll update . . . I just hope I won't have to reinstall both OS's . . . .

Back
Top Bottom