help! ADSL modem problem

Racko1

Beta member
I have just moved over to broadband, great i thought! But with my USB modem plugged in Windows(98se) will not fully boot until i disconnect the USB cable. It is doing my head in! My ISP helpdesk tell me i need to update my USB driver - but i dont really know what to look for on the web. Any help greatlfully received. (my mobo is Asus A7v133).

Well first of all can you tell us the make and model number for the modem :D

Look for new USB and modem drivers...that would be my first guess.

My grandparents had a similar problem, except when they shut their computer down. It would hang at a screen with bars on it. To make their computer shut off, they could just press the "Connect" button on their keyboard. Odd huh? Only when they had their modem connected.

Something else, I havn't looked into that modem of yours, but if it has ethernet connections on it, they tend to work MUCH better than USB.

i have no idea why you would use USB network connection over ethernet.

its just stupid. unless its your only option, but please. a nic cards is like 10 bucks.

i hate usb, usb everything.

Thats your problem, because your.....dumb? Anyway i use usb for my internet, as i only have 1 ethernet port and that is for my xbox. Theres no benefit of using ethernet realy when you have a ok system and 1mb connection.

call me names if it makes you feel better...

A usb nic has to emulate an ethernet card in software. This uses system resources which a hadware nic does not need. usb uses more cpu cycles. so if your system is "ok" or less than ok, you will benefit from ethernet. i myslef dont like wasted cpu cycles whether i can afford them or not.

hardware is better than software.

usb can only go out about 5 meters, ethernet (cat5) can go 100 meters. you can network with ethernet, usb not so much. gl running usb cords throughout the house to get a network going.

usb can be highly unreliable/stable.

usb networking uses a lot of software/drivers, mostly windows-only or possibly Mac compliant. have fun if you use linux. and if you use 98se or earlier the drivers have lots of problems.

usb drivers can be a hassle to install and get configured correctly.

if you running a LAN its better to use ethernet.

your ping will most likely be 10-20ms faster on ethernet.

a nic card is dedicated to your data. made for it. usb is designed for everything under the sun.

ethernet cards can work in dos, go ahead and try getting usb to work in dos.

only a few. but what do i know, im dumb.

Back
Top Bottom