Help a linux user understand the big scary world of video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
Well, ATI has just recently opened up their drivers to linux. Which is the exact opposite of their "be a pain in the *** to anyone using linux" policy they had previously believed in.

Drivers & Software

Only Some of their cards have linux drivers, though. Just browsing the Radeon cards they support: X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, HD2400, HD2600, HD2900.

Newegg has an HD2400PRO for $40 and now ATI has a linux driver for it...they also have the X1300 for like $20. I am assuming these will be ebtter than my onboard Intel GMA3100 and it would release a load off the processor. I don't game, but I have been using compiz and I notice my cpu is taking a bit too high of a hit during some of my affects and they are slow if I am running alot of things at the same time.

What's the difference between the models? X vs HD? Radeon vs FireMV, FireGL, ect.

If you are after the correct answer for your question, why not post is correct sub-forum?

Sorry, but I am getting tired of people posting in OT just because it's more likely to get looked at or replied too.

That's not why I posted it here.

I posted it in off topic because I didn't feel any of the forums really fit what I was talking about. I considered making it in the linux forum...but I imagine most of the people who check that forum are linux users, and being around linux users alot shows me that linux users don't know much about video cards.

I thought about posting it in the hardware section...but I'm not really asking about specific hardware, but a general overview of the market itself. A discussion more than a question.

hey brinson...wasn't i PWNIN you last nite on the [FUB] BF2 server, like you were a retarded midget playin basketball?
=KYA=, remember me...? ...lol if not, i apologize (sincerely) to whoever you are, the name seems familiar. if so, lol x2...you talk way too much smack.

rms-sign.jpg

Richard Stallman vs ATi that guy is a personal hero of mine.

hey brinson...wasn't i PWNIN you last nite on the [FUB] BF2 server, like you were a retarded midget playin basketball?
=KYA=, remember me...? ...lol if not, i apologize (sincerely) to whoever you are, the name seems familiar. if so, lol x2...you talk way too much smack.

Haha, not me. I've never played BF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom