Hello- from a newbie

HelenPriddle

Beta member
Hi all
I'm a scientist by trade, a bit long in the tooth, so much so that Computing wasn't taught in school back then. Late in life (well, I'm 47... not that late) I've come to realise computing is very much for me. I've used it in my job (building databases with MS Excel and Access) and I'm always the IT go-to. But I've realised that's always the highlight of my day, and that's how my brain naturally works. I've started a formal qualification through the Open University (UK online provider), and would love to take it further. But I feel I'm a long way behind... Well, here's hoping. Would welcome advice on what qualifications would be good to have, what programming languages are in demand, and whether anyone out there has got into Arduino? Is it worth it?

I find it rather humorous that you consider yourself "... a bit long in the tooth..." at age 47 since I'm nearly 20 years older than you!

If I were younger, I would pursue AI and other cognitive technologies as applied to automation. I currently work in the automation field and people with those skills are in high demand.

I've never touched an Arduino but have tinkered with the Raspberry Pi (similar platform) quite a bit but only from a hobbyist standpoint. You could certainly re-enforce your programming skills working with these little computers but not sure if being an Arduino or Pi "expert" would open many doors to a job.

You didn't mention what field of science you work in but there could be applications where using an Arduino to control Lab equipment might be beneficial to your work.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check out Pi... if nothing else to increase creativity and for fun!

I work in the fertility sector: handling eggs sperm and embryos; so a lot of scope for new tech in the lab, both software and hardware. And of course a lucrative industry. We have some really cool kit, not least "Embryoscope" which takes pics of embryos every 15 mins through multiple planes of focus which delivers timelapse footage. I often think of the techies who developed the hardware and software for it....

I find it rather humorous that you consider yourself "... a bit long in the tooth..." at age 47 since I'm nearly 20 years older than you!

If I were younger, I would pursue AI and other cognitive technologies as applied to automation. I currently work in the automation field and people with those skills are in high demand.

I've never touched an Arduino but have tinkered with the Raspberry Pi (similar platform) quite a bit but only from a hobbyist standpoint. You could certainly re-enforce your programming skills working with these little computers but not sure if being an Arduino or Pi "expert" would open many doors to a job.

You didn't mention what field of science you work in but there could be applications where using an Arduino to control Lab equipment might be beneficial to your work.

I believe you need programming fundamentals to understand AI. Then under different machine learning techniques. Also learn a few packages e.g.TensorFlow, etc.

Programming skills leave you open to many areas, will also help you to understand AI, etc.

There are also many software engineering jobs, especially for web development.

Hi All,

I am Ruchi, I work for NuAIg firm. NuAIg is an AI advisory entity with expertise in contemporary Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotic Process Automation, Natural Language Processing, Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality tools. NuAIg enables businness to harness the power of Artificial Intelligence

NuAIg is an AI advisory entity which provides consultation in various sectors from RPA in banking, RPA in healthcare industry and life science. It helps business to jumpstart AI adoption and automation journey.

Back
Top Bottom