heatsinks

E

entity512

I know this sounds strange, but does anyone find it a right bitch to put a heatsink on your mobo? lol. Any techniques? heh...

You wouldn't necesarily put it directly on your motherboard, but most new motherboards today have chipset heatsinks(Northbridge, Southbrige, Nforce2, etc)

Where exactly were you planing on putting a heatsink?
Where on the motherboard?

Sorry i thought most people would ahve understood. A normal CPU heatsink.

Yes, they are a b***h.

The Intel P4 standard heatsink and fan are pretty easy to put on, but a royal pain in the butt to take off.

Heatsinks are a pain because of a couple of issues.

1. They need to be tight and firm against the CPU in order for a heatsink to work correctly.

2. You have to put them on straight and stead force. I have seen many AMD chips that are cracked due to incorrect methods of putting on a heatsink.

3. Due to smaller chips and more devices on a mobo, there is little or no space to put on a heatsink and fan in the first place.

Remember back to the 386 and 486 and even the P-I when heatsinks weren't even used? I use to use a P-I 133MHz and overclock the hell out of it and crack up the voltage to get 200MHz out of that little chip with only a heatsink, no fan. And the heatsink was 6 pennies I superglued together. Now those were the days.

heh, I tried for half an hour to get this heatsink on to this new motherboard i just got, i gave up. Im scared when i spend my £200 on upgrading that i'll break my new stuff!

OOOOOOOOHHH! CPU heatsinks, now I really feel retarded. :(

I thought you meant that you wanted to place a heatsink somewhere else on your mobo that has never been tried before!(big misunderstanding, sorry...)

Ok.....i have one already. And thats for Pentiums matey! lol.

Back
Top Bottom