heatsink

Natalya1

Daemon Poster
you know hows there is that "thermal interface material" at the bottom of the heatsink above the CPU, what happens if that gets a bit damaged? is it really bad for the computer?

good good, i basically have everything but the case. so exciting! ill let you know when its done =D

so this compound thingo, when i took out the heatsink of my current computer earlier, i accidentally smudged one corner of the thing. is it gonna cuase bad damage until i apply new thermal stuff? =S

I don't believe so. As long as none of the thermal compound have been removed, it should be ok. Usually, people don't remove the heatsinks off of their CPUs unless they are replacing it or dropping in a new CPU. At that time, they always apply new thermal paste or grease. When you do that, make sure you get all the old thermal material off of the CPU and heatsink. A good, lint-less way to clean the CPU die is to put on a clean disposable vinyl glove, wet the end of your index finger with degreaser-wash or rubbing alcohol, and gently apply it to the surface of the CPU or die.

Back
Top Bottom