Heat question with my CPU.

newjacksm

In Runtime
It seems to be my CPU is taking a lot of heat.. actually everything is.. I am running 3 fans front side and rear they are all placed correctly I have disabled the cool and quiet and I am getting really bad temps.

I have a stable OC CPU

CPU is AMD 940 II X4 BE at 3.4 w/ 1.4v... I have applied Artic Silver thermal paste to both heatsink and CPU. This chip was installed 2 days ago. it idles at 45-50 degrees with my window closed and 38-43 window open.

Temps.jpg

What heatsink are you using? It seems like you used too much AS-5. You only need a small drop half the size of a pea on the processor. Putting some on the heatsink and the CPU may be the problem.

Not even that big. Grain of rice size spread out evenly works fine. Too little and there's not good thermal transfer. Too much and it acts like a blanket.
Intake air from the front and blow out the back. What case and heatsink are you using?

If you put paste on both the cpu chip and the heatsink odds are real good it's too much.
I'd clean it off of both and start over with just a dab on the cpu chip. Spread it out evenly and set the heatsink down on it. Secure it down and let it idle for a couple of hours to cure in.

It could if you're not careful. A dry cloth first then some alcohol on a q-tip followed by a dry clean cloth. There are cleaners out there made for removing thermal paste.

I scraped off the stock thermal compound/pad on the heatsink is that bad?

ok well I took off the thermal paste on the heat sink and on the CPU it self there was already a nice thin layer on there already I could see the surface when I use a card to spread it. I tried taking some off with my fingers. Right now the temperature is about the same since I put everything backtogether idle at 50c

completely clean off all thermalpaste applied to heatsink&cpu, and make sure you dont touch the heatsink/cpu w/ your fingers due to it will leave some oil residue from your fingers.

the apply a very small amount on the heatsink [not cpu], ricegrain size and spread it by either using credit card or clear/clean plastic you can put over ur finger to spread it out.

Back
Top Bottom