HDMI to computer screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellseeker

Beta member
Hi all!
I think I'll just jump right out into it...
I'm trying to get my new PS3 to work on my computer screen with a HDMI to DVI cable. There's only one problem.. It won't take the signal. I've been researching a bit and I found out it might be because the screen must have HDCP. I found a pretty good screen that I might get, a Samsung Syncmaster 225W. It should have HDCP and DVI, and as far as I can see that's all it needs... But... am I right? Is there anything else it should be supporting or inputs it should have or something?

- The Hellseeker

HDCP is the protocol that is used for encrypting the signal going from the source to the sink/destination. If the monitor supports HDCP "over" DVI, it means that it has a chip inside it (most likely from Silicon Image or Broadcom) that can handle HDCP. The source device will have a similar transmitter chip for HDCP over HDMI (or DVI). These chips are specific for HDMI or DVI - "but" the HDCP protocol that is running is the same.

That being said, you shouldn't have any issues. I've seen HDMI to DVI setups working with a HDMI-DVI adapter wrt HDCP. If there isn't something severely wrong with your h/w, it should work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom