HDD REcovery? PartitionMagic crashed drive - blue screen.

reburns

Beta member
Hello,

I was using PartionMagic 7 to resize a logical partition on a laptop HDD and the process failed after the intial reboot. Now the (XP x32) laptop goes blue screen upon boot.

I own a Thermaltake "BlacX" external HDD dock attached to another computer (XP x64) and so I removed the hung laptop drive in attempt to retrieve the data. However, the drive does not show up in windows file explorer.

What is a good way to retreive data off this drive? Thank you! Ralph

Update: I can see one partition as found thru disk manager, and the other partition is listed as "healthy active" but is not accessible. I only need one set of files off this presently inaccessible partition.

Hello,

I was using PartionMagic 7 to resize a logical partition on a laptop HDD and the process failed after the intial reboot. Now the (XP x32) laptop goes blue screen upon boot.

I own a Thermaltake "BlacX" external HDD dock attached to another computer (XP x64) and so I removed the hung laptop drive in attempt to retrieve the data. However, the drive does not show up in windows file explorer.

What is a good way to retreive data off this drive? Thank you! Ralph

Update: I can see one partition as found thru disk manager, and the other partition is listed as "healthy active" but is not accessible. I only need one set of files off this presently inaccessible partition.

what do you mean "not accessible"...? does it have to do with permissions...? I've had that happen with drives before and you have to go to the security tab in the properties and take "ownership" of them, this usually happens when it's an OS drive that was logged onto with a password...

Under disk management I see the original partitions, and when I go to access the one in question I get "(Letter):\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

This is using the external USB drive "dock" into another computer.

The data gods looked down upon me, saw the errors of my poor & bad behaviour. They saw someone who had fallen from the faithfully nightly backup path. And with some penance, the gods smiled upon me.

1. able to access the 2nd partition using a external drive caddy.
2. remounted the drive into the laptop and booted from the XP system CD. Selected "repair" and who knows what, the laptop boots normally.

Doing penance now. Ten laps around the rosary and multiple backups. Now back to seeking goddesses who likewise smile.

Back
Top Bottom