Hdd not running...

DirtBikeRidr

In Runtime
I did he stupidest thing today...
I was working on my hdd while the computer was on, and it dropped to the bottom of the case about 4" and it made the weirdest sound ever and skipped like a scratched disc.

I waited while and...

booted it up and it doest load anymore.

I just want to know if i'm screw with the hdd, or if i can still save information on it.

any input would help. thx for your time.

Ouch!! Sounds like you killed your HDD. If there is some very important stuff on there you need back, you could aways send it to a data recovery service. But that stuff aint cheap.

Hmm... if it's still under warranty.... :cool:

Atomic Rooster said:
Ouch!! Sounds like you killed your HDD. If there is some very important stuff on there you need back, you could aways send it to a data recovery service. But that stuff aint cheap.

Hmm... if it's still under warranty.... :cool:

i still have the 5 year warranty, but does that cover it?

DirtBikeRidr said:
I did he stupidest thing today...
I was working on my hdd while the computer was on, and it dropped to the bottom of the case about 4" and it made the weirdest sound ever and skipped like a scratched disc.

I waited while and...

booted it up and it doest load anymore.

I just want to know if i'm screw with the hdd, or if i can still save information on it.

any input would help. thx for your time.
DirtBikeRidr said:
i still have the 5 year warranty, but does that cover it?

I hate to sound harsh mate, but I do not think "stupidity" is covered by warranty, and basically as you have admitted that was what your actions were. (not rubbing it in, just pointing out the fact as you seemed to have reached the same conclusion on your own ;) :) ) You may be able to get a replacement drive under warranty if you tell them it just failed and not what actually occured. If they pull the drive open (doubtful) they will see you're not telling the whole story of course. I'd give it a go, you've nothing more to lose.

The sound you heard was probably the read/write heads destroying the platters or destroying themselves.

Data recovery companies are very expensive as they dismantle your hdd, remove the platters and mount them in a functional drive to recover the data. Unless there is stuff your life depends on on the drive, I'd chalk it up to experience and start again with a new drive.

RULE #1 OF PC'S FOR BEGINNERS

Never, ever, plug in or unplug devices or mess about in your pc with it turned on and running, or even just connected to the power.

Deathstar said:
RULE #1 OF PC'S FOR BEGINNERS

Never, ever, plug in or unplug devices or mess about in your pc with it turned on and running, or even just connected to the power.

Yeah, i know that.

Unless you can get the bios to recognise the drive and windows to access it (which I very much doubt) the only other option is a data recovery company ... have your credit card ready and a good credit limit in place, sorry mate, but from what you have stated I'd fancy an ice cube has a better chance in hell than you personally recovering your data.

I don't want to seem uncaring, but basically, you're pretty well f*cked.

Back
Top Bottom