HDD Erase

So you are taking the HDDs out of their respective computers, wiping them, and then getting rid of them? I don't see why you can't just use one computer, run DBAN on the drive, unplug, plug in the next drive, off you go again....

That's seems to be the logical way. You aren't going to be able to do it from within Windows, and even if you were, it wouldn't be any faster than using DBAN. Just use DBAN and do a short wipe (3 passes I think) and that's perfect for what you are doing.

Do get what I'm saying? So just use one of the 98 machines to DBAN all the drives. It's going to take just as long as doing it from within Windows (if there was a program), so you might as well get to to it rather than looking for one. :p

^This^

So DBAN on your main computer then use the USB adapter to connect the HDD.

Run DBAN.

Another thing. USB is a terribly slow interface. Even USB 2. If the HDD's are SATA and you have a spare SATA port on your computer then use that. Or better still get a SATA PCI bracket for your main computer and just plug them in.

This will be faster that accessing the drive via USB.

So you are taking the HDDs out of their respective computers, wiping them, and then getting rid of them? I don't see why you can't just use one computer, run DBAN on the drive, unplug, plug in the next drive, off you go again....

That's seems to be the logical way. You aren't going to be able to do it from within Windows, and even if you were, it wouldn't be any faster than using DBAN. Just use DBAN and do a short wipe (3 passes I think) and that's perfect for what you are doing.

Do get what I'm saying? So just use one of the 98 machines to DBAN all the drives. It's going to take just as long as doing it from within Windows (if there was a program), so you might as well get to to it rather than looking for one. :p

^This^

So DBAN on your main computer then use the USB adapter to connect the HDD.

Run DBAN.

Another thing. USB is a terribly slow interface. Even USB 2. If the HDD's are SATA and you have a spare SATA port on your computer then use that. Or better still get a SATA PCI bracket for your main computer and just plug them in.

This will be faster that accessing the drive via USB.

Thanks. I understand now. Good calls from both of you!

That makes more sense by the way. Silly me. :p

Back
Top Bottom