HDBaseT - the future?

If you plugged a HDBaseT cable into a powered hub, would it duplicate the image?
Quite possibly, though without knowing the details of the protocol it's difficult to say for certain. It does support daisy chaining though :)

For PCs, you're still stuck with the same amount of cords. Simply the HDBaseT would still have to come from many seperate devices. Unless you somehow integrated your monitor with your router and so forth, nothing changes as far as the number of cables.
At the moment you've got two power cables and two data cables for each monitor you've got by your PC (more for sound with built in monitor speakers.) This technology could mean you have one cat5 cable going from your PC to your monitor, and another one going from that first monitor to the second. All other cables (including power) are done away with - I see that as fewer cables!

Quite possibly, though without knowing the details of the protocol it's difficult to say for certain. It does support daisy chaining though :)

At the moment you've got two power cables and two data cables for each monitor you've got by your PC (more for sound with built in monitor speakers.) This technology could mean you have one cat5 cable going from your PC to your monitor, and another one going from that first monitor to the second. All other cables (including power) are done away with - I see that as fewer cables!

Is that what daisy chaining is?

That would be quite cool, I didn't know such a thing was possible. Tis a shame we'd have to buy new monitors though lol.

R.E. Daisy chaining - Only ever done daisy chaining in larger networks - the theory side of things, wayy back.

I stand to be corrected, but its basically a network topology, with one main 'spine' running through the centre of a building or a computer network, where you can have other cables / computers running off the 'spine'. Makes it easier to add and change individual components, with just one extra cable can be added to the chain to run things off.

(Hence, in this case the reduction of the amount of cabling)

R.E. HDBaseT, eventually, there will have to be a mainstream cable type (or 1 or 2) customers wont want to chop and change their computers / connectors / cabling / sockets etc, and the bigger companies will try and set monopolies up, and strive to implement standards for the future, which will benefit the user - but also keep them in business.

All seems like a natural progression to me.

Back
Top Bottom