HD recovery

addle_brains

Baseband Member
I recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and graphics card. I was using a 40GB hard drive with windows installed and had a 10GB spare. When I rebooted with the new configuration, my computer no longer recognises the formatting on my 30GB HD. I was wondering if there is a way to recover the data, I don't want to lose it all. :( :( :(

You say you have a new motherboard - that means a new chipset - you need to reformat, or, if you dont want to do that, just repair the installation, then the new chipset will be reconised - dont worry, no biggie, it's an easy job.

BTW - Welcome to CF.

Thanks, but my problem just got worse. I turn on the comp.... nothing happens on the screen. I can hear the fans going and everything but nothing comes up. The light just blink the way it does when it gets no signal...ARGH!

Stupid question, but (if your mobo has it), did you plug in the 24/20 pin power connector AND the 4pin one?

07mackenzie said:
Stupid question, but (if your mobo has it), did you plug in the 24/20 pin power connector AND the 4pin one?

New motherboards, from the time that the P4 came out, have what they call an auxiliary power port. Besides the 20 or 24-pin power to the motherboard, there is a square 4-pin power port that also goes to the motherboard. Is that plugged in? The wires are yellow and black.

Yeah, thats what I didn't plug in on mine, and it did exactly the same thing.

Also check that your graphics card is plugged in properly.

For the hard drive - just build up the PC again on a table, and then copy all the data you need to a CD or something like that :p

prosser13 said:
Also check that your graphics card is plugged in properly.

For the hard drive - just build up the PC again on a table, and then copy all the data you need to a CD or something like that :p

I agree with prosser13, you might want to check the video card. A lot of these new ones that are out take a Molex 4-pin connector for power, like what optical drives take.

Back
Top Bottom