HD Problems

buxtahuda

Baseband Member
I have a Seagate 400GB internal SATA hard drive. We haven't completely set up our network yet, so to move a bunch of files between my harddrive and my brother's I simply hooked my HD up in his computer, booted it, and did what I needed to do. Now, however, my harddrive will not boot in MY machine. It gets to the boot screen, then bluescreens and reboots too quickly to read the message. Any way to fix?

There should be an option in the bios to stop the computer from resetting after a fatal error. Enable it, then tell us what it says when it crashes.

There should be an option in the bios to stop the computer from resetting after a fatal error. Enable it, then tell us what it says when it crashes.

I know the setting, and I've played with it on my old MoBo/Processor, but I've no idea where the setting is on this one. I'll keep looking and if I can't find it, I'll post my MoBo and Processor specs.

It's not in BIOS. On boot up keep tapping F8 until you get the screen that has safe mode and all that fun stuff listed. Move down to "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press enter.

It's not in BIOS. On boot up keep tapping F8 until you get the screen that has safe mode and all that fun stuff listed. Move down to "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press enter.

Ahhh, crap, you're right. I'm sorry, it's been a while since I've had anything like that happen to me. But yeah, celegorm is right.

Also, did you copy your brothers entire harddrive? I'm thinking maybe your computer is trying to boot off of that harddrive through your brothers windows installation. Try changing the boot order of the harddrives.

Ahhh, crap, you're right. I'm sorry, it's been a while since I've had anything like that happen to me. But yeah, celegorm is right.

Also, did you copy your brothers entire harddrive? I'm thinking maybe your computer is trying to boot off of that harddrive through your brothers windows installation. Try changing the boot order of the harddrives.

Ooooooh, that is right. That's why I couldn't find it. Btw, forgot to say it, but it does boot in safe mode just fine.

Ok, then let's give "Last known good configuration" a try. Usually it results in the same thing, but every now and then it gets a computer back up and on it's feet.

Ok, then let's give "Last known good configuration" a try. Usually it results in the same thing, but every now and then it gets a computer back up and on it's feet.

Yeah, it bluescreened all the same when I tried it the other night. I'll get the error message later tonight; I don't get off work until 5.

If it boots into safe mode fine, then usually the damage isn't too severe and just reinstalling windows on top of itself would do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom