HD or SD camcorder for youtube stuff?

Milk_The_Elephnt

Baseband Member
its a simple question really, I'd love to film my goings on at all the (british) games/comic cons next year and put them on my youtube channel.
but a lot of the regular youtube vloggers have HD video SLRs. now, i'd love an SLR that was that good with video caperbilitys and great photo caperbilitys too, but i already have an SLR (Sony A230) and they are rather expensive.
so ive been looking at camcorders, specifically this : Sony Handycam CX190 Full HD Camcorder - Black 2.7 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
and this : Sony DCR-SX 21 EB Black Videocamera, DCRSX21EB.CEN: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
But was thinking, do i really need full HD just for youtube videos?
Filming a large potion of your day at eurogamer would require a very large memory card to store the data on ( i think its only 90mins on a 16GB card), and i dont own any video editing software that supports AVCHD.
So, HD or SD?

Thanks.

I put the post here because i feel it doesnt really fit anywhere else, feel free to move it is it does :)

Yes, i do want people to watch.
And looking at more camcorders the HD ones generally are not that much more than their SD variants.
But what about 720P vs 1080p they're both 'HD' so out of those two, i s'pose i'd rather 720p because of the highly reduced time for compressing and rendering. but ywould you still watch a 720p video?

A lot of vids I watch are 720p. The difference between that and 240/360 is just incredible due to Youtubes compression. To give you an idea of what I mean, take a 360p video and full screen on the biggest screen you have in your house. It simply looks crap and all you can see if fuzz. This is why I don't watch any SD videos unless it's something just real old. If the upload date is like 2012 and the vid is 360p I'll most likely ignore it.

Also, if you wind up getting a 1080p recording device simply use Handbrake and use the "normal" profile. It's a free program and makes my 20-40GB FRAPS videos down to around 1-2GB without quality loss. Smaller files are typically less than 1GB file size and even my crap upload gets them up in about 30-40 minutes. It's still 1080p in the end, but helps greatly with raw file size.

As much as i'd love to watch youtube HD, I can't stream them.

Still, upload in the highest quality possible always.

I would rather buffer than deal with 360p. As it stands, even on a 20Mb connection most of the time I can't stream 720p or 1080p from Youtube due to their **** service.

Also, if you wind up getting a 1080p recording device simply use Handbrake and use the "normal" profile. It's a free program and makes my 20-40GB FRAPS videos down to around 1-2GB without quality loss. Smaller files are typically less than 1GB file size and even my crap upload gets them up in about 30-40 minutes. It's still 1080p in the end, but helps greatly with raw file size.
Thanks for the help, i think i'll proberly go with HD then, anyway, quality is only going to get better! soon enough even 1080P will be 'old' :p
so yeah, cheers

And putting my two pennys worth in, i have a pretty constant 5MB connection and i can do 720P without buffering at best, 1080P just takes an age to buffer XD

My paid for connection is 20Mb, and the connection I'm on now is 10Mb. Doesn't really help over slower connections as I believe Youtubes service is just too slow to properly stream or quickly buffer 1080p content.

Back
Top Bottom