Having Some Difficulty

Bobfred21

Beta member
Alright, so a couple months ago my lap top decided it was done with and basically refused to turn on for very long. I think viruses (it's one of those things where I keep meaning to scan regularly and it doesn't happen, eventually the viruses build up).

In any case, my dad decided that he was going to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP, to see if he could salvage it. Well, it worked and the computer is running faster and with no more mysterious shut downs, however I can't seem to get it to connect to the internet no matter what I do.(and yes, the wireless hardware is turned on).

My dad seems to think I need my original set up disk, but I'm not sure that's the case, as windows XP is running just fine and I can access other functions just fine. He then suggested I check some sort of list of programs which would show which programs were disabled, running properly or malfunctioning which could be accessed through my control panel. I looked pretty thoroughly but couldn't find anything like that. Also note that he did NOT mean the add or remove programs function.

In any case, any help you can provide to help me get my internet up and running again is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Bobfred21-

What about your drivers?
Unless that's what you meant with wireless hardware?

There are certain parts of a computer I can work out just fine, others not so much. Drivers being one of these things. I wouldn't even know how to check them. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem, if I specified above, you'll have to forgive me as that was not intentional.

In any case, how would I go about checking my drivers? And I'm more then happy to answer any questions you have that could help you help me.

Thanks again,

-Bobfred21-

EDIT: Ah, what I meant with wireless hardware is my lap top has a switch on the side where you can turn the wireless receptor on or off. I assumed it was fairly standard for lap tops.

Okay, so after looking at it some more I've managed to find what I believe to be the problem.

The following driver's are not functioning properly:
Windows cannot Load Drivers for this device:
-WAN Miniport (IPX)

The drivers for these devices are not installed:
-Ethernet Controller
-Multimedia Audio Controller
-PCI Flash Memory (2 of these are listed as not working)
-PCI Modem
-SM Bus Controller
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Now, that's worse than I expected. For the WAN Miniport troubleshooter suggests I reinstall. Problem is I don't have the disk that came with this computer, and buying a new copy of windows XP is a bit expensive.

Is there a place I can find the drivers for free? I have a removable hard drive that I can use to transfer these files but as of right now that's really the only option I can think of. Any suggestions are welcome.

I just wiped a friends laptop today and installed XP for him, had the exact same problems as you.

(In my friends case) because there was no drivers for the USB ports, Ethernet ports or the wireless. I had to use my own laptop, to first download a free driver from the broadcom website (heres a link to the drivers but be aware depending on you hardware you may need a different driver,http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php). And also download a torrent driver downloader (I think I used driver majic).

I then burnt the data onto a DVDRW and went to my friends laptop, put the disk in and followed these steps:

- Control panel, Add Hardware
- It should then scan for hardware and ask "have you already connected the hardware to your computer?, click YES
- It should then come up with a list of hardware (most with a yellow question marks next to it)
- I then selected something like the ethernet port controller (I selected the ethernet port because of the hassle of getting the wireless key of my friends internet if i had chosen the wireless card)
- It should come up that there is no drivers for this device installed, click finish
- It will then come up with the hardware update wizzard and will ask does it want to search the internet for updates, click NO
- Then install the drivers from the disk

Then using an ethernet connection, you should be able to access the internet, thats where I used my driver update software to do the rest of my drivers for me. If you cant download torrent files, you might have to install drivers one at a time using windows.

Sorry its a long post, this is how I overcame the problem anyway, there probably a faster more simple solution but I couldnt be botherd to search or ask for one.

Hope this helps. :)

bobfred, if you know the manufacturer of your lap top, just go to there web site where all the drivers will be available.

whats hap. my system was attacked by a virus and its has disabled task manager and regedit,what can i do?

Back
Top Bottom