having problems getting video card to send signal to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad

Beta member
i've just built a pc and today i when i tried to boot it up for the first time, it displays nothing on a standard 17in' crt monitor, so to see what the problem was i plugged it into a lcd, which then told me it was recieving no signal and was going into stand by mode. so my first guess was something with the video card, so i tried it in another pc, but it worked perfectly, so i tried another video card, geforce 2 mx pci, and it still refused to send a signal, at this point i'm out of options of what to do

comp specs:
cpu: p4 3.06
mainboard: asus p4t533-c
ram: 2 256 samsung 1066 rdram sticks

Please specify your graphics card, and be sure that your card is seated properly into the AGP (or PCI) slot.

Try taking out every other card you have in the PC (e.g. modem's soundcards, etc.) and leave the graphics card, and try to boot up. If none else works, it's possible that the motherboard and/or CPU may be faulty.

I doubt that it's the card. He said that he tried another card in the same computer and it still didn't work. He also said that he used the card in question in a different computer and it worked fine.

I didn't see whether you said it was AGP or not, so I am taking for grantide (sp?) that it is. Which would mean that the MoBo is bad (not nessacarily[sp?] the board, but the AGP slot).

However, if it is infact a PCI card, have you tried the card in a different PCI slot?

is this an agp pro slot? if so, have you ensured that the 9700 is not seated in the "pro" area of the mobo?

er...the radeon 9700 isn't a pro card, is it? *ponders*

Most ASUS boards nowadays, if not all, contain AGP Pro slots - the card which was mentioned, uses a standard AGP (8x) interface. The stopper tab located at the end should always be left in place when using a standard AGP card; then the card can be safely plugged in.

so i tried another video card, geforce 2 mx pci, and it still refused to send a signal, at this point i'm out of options of what to do

May seem a bit dumb, but check to make sure that you have AT LEAST A continuity RIMM (CRIMM) module in the RIMM slot, as well as the stick of RDRAM in each.

I would also suggest checking to make sure your RAM is seated correctly. If the RAM is not properly seated, the video card will not output a signal. If you are able to, also try different ram in the PC, just to eliminate the possibility that the RAM is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom