Having power issues

joelk989

Baseband Member
okay, so lately my computer has been having a hard time turning on. I push the power button and it just lights up then off. and now it has completely stoped trying to start up. Im thinking it might be the powersupply or the mainboard?

anyone with experience in this?

joelk989 said:
okay, so lately my computer has been having a hard time turning on. I push the power button and it just lights up then off. and now it has completely stoped trying to start up. Im thinking it might be the powersupply or the mainboard?

anyone with experience in this?
I haven't had any experience with it but it looks like the power supply to me. Could be the motherboard but I don't know. I had an old PC that would do that because one of the PCI cards kept coming out of the slot so I would have to push it in every two months or so and it worked fine. You could try that, make sure everything inside the case is plugged in and connected right and that all the cards are in the slot. Also if you have another PC that will accept the power supply, try putting it in there and see if it works and if not then the power supply is bad.

Some times the power button on the case wears out. Pull the lead off the motherboard header and short the pins on the header with a small tipped screwdriver. If the system comes on and stays on it's the button. If it doesn't unplug all the power connections. On the the main motherboard plug locate the green wire. Take a jumper and short the green wire to any black wire and observe the power supply fan. If it comes on and stays on then the problem is in the motherboard or a device that takes its power from a power connector. Put it back together and connect the boot drive and the motherboard. Start it up. Continue adding in devices untill it acts up again. The last device will be the problem child. Be sure to shut down when adding devices back in then boot back up.
Also look for scrapes on the wiring. A short to ground will make the power supply shut down pretty quickly also.
Don't assume anything. Check every thing out as you go along.

I hooked my power supply up to a different Mobo and it worked fine.. also i tried using a different switch on the motherboard and things still didnt work, i ended up just connecting the motherboard power and it still didnt work, i just ordered a new motherboard and it will arive today, I'm guessing going with biostar for my first mobo wasnt a good idea. I got this DFI board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813136152 and i am hoping everything else in my system is still in working order, I had to RMA my graphics card last time this happened. but that was a different power situation. The power would go on but nothing would boot up and i would get no display.

Dude I'm having power problems with my biostar tforce u. It worked for 30 mins then it completly frose. And now the motherboard isn't getting the power it needs 2 turn on. iduno I got a 420watt atx12v running a amd 4800x2 and a crappy video card. It should be working right? Damn biostar!

Back
Top Bottom