Harper Has Some Thing Important To Say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Harper. You'll find it may not be as easy to get used to as you might thing. Even with the automagic-style distribution installations, you'll usually find you're going to have to do some aspect of it yourself. Whatever hardware it doesn't know, or configures in a non-optimal way. I haven't had a perfect auto-detection happen yet, though to be fair, this old machine has some weird components.

Anyway, I've been on Linux without even dual-booting for over two years now. It's great once you get used to and hopefully begin to appreciate the *NIX way of doing things.

As a number of people have already mentioned, it's a good idea get a distribution with some sort of package-management. Not that compiling from source is that difficult, and you should definitely be comfortable with it because you'll need to do that whenever software you want isn't in your available repositories, but it saves time having something deal with an app's dependencies for you.

m3trj said:
Don't compile your own stuff, it took me ages to set up Gentoo. I didn't realise I'd have to compile everything.
Wait...then why were you installing Gentoo? Part of it's appeal is as a source-based distribution. :p

Harper said:
I have been thinking about how I was going to say this and let the world now. So I feel that it best if I do it one of the forums that I have been hanging around for a while first, after one of these disission can have a very bit impact on the rest of your life.

At that point.. i thought u were coming out of the closet XD

Qiranworms said:
Good luck Harper. You'll find it may not be as easy to get used to as you might thing.
Yeah... well i have been a little busy for the last few days to really sit down for this.

PClinuxOS did not want to mount my drive.
Ubuntu Desktop loaded, however the keyboard and mouse did not work once in the GUI. I got some one on the Ubuntu forums telling me to try again the Ubuntu Alternitive CD. So I spend another night downloading my 3rd ISO image. I am going to try to do it again tonight, but I really got to make sure that I do my TAX this week.

PCLinuxOS gave me no problems once I realized that the main partition had to be atleast 4gb, and I was only making it 1.5gb....oops...

Wait...then why were you installing Gentoo? Part of it's appeal is as a source-based distribution. :p

Hehe yeah good question. I decided I wanted to learn to use Linux properly because I didn't know much, and I was recommended Gentoo because setting it up was apparently a good learning experience. I knew nothing of Portage until it was too late, and I couldn't be arsed removing it.

Despite the sometimes rather large compile times, I now really love this distro because of Portage, and the install and set up really did teach me a lot. It's completely replaced Windows for me.

I don't think I'd reinstall it though if I had to, just takes so long.

Trifid said:
Unreal Tournament has a installer for Linux, but wouldn't do anything. You can run steam by using Wine but CSS doesn't work apparently HL2 does.

You need Windows for games sadly.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The UT2k4 installer works, I play UT2k4 all the time. CSS works just as well as HL2 works, which is just as well as it works in Windows.

You don't need Windows for games, you need Windows for Windows-only games.

I play Doom 3, Quake 3 and 4, RTCW, WolfET, UT2k4, Nexuiz and Prey all the time. Prey in Cedega works exactly as it does in Windows. And I am looking forward to playing ET:QW and UT2k7 in Linux as well.

FireFox said:
Hrm.....now if only I could figure out how to take screenshots.....

Press printscreen? :rolleyes: :amazed:

About the vista thing, I think xp will be microsoft's last popular os because vista just isn't going to leave innocent people alone if they reformat too many times

The General said:
Press printscreen? :rolleyes: :amazed:

Oh really? I didn't try that....hmmm... [/sarcasm]

*tries it*

oh my god...it doesn't work. ;) just like it didn't work last time...and the time before that....

Edit: Actually decided to figure it out....had to use a handy program called "KSnapshot".

"PCLinuxWindowsMacOSXUnbuntuSuSEDEBIAN...."

FireFox said:
Oh really? I didn't try that....hmmm... [/sarcasm]

*tries it*

oh my god...it doesn't work. ;) just like it didn't work last time...and the time before that....

Edit: Actually decided to figure it out....had to use a handy program called "KSnapshot".
Maybe you could try ALT + PRT_SCRN ? :D :cool:

Re: "PCLinuxWindowsMacOSXUnbuntuSuSEDEBIAN...."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
Maybe you could try ALT + PRT_SCRN ? :D :cool:

Nope, tried everything in the book. So, what I ended up doing was going to pclinuxos's forums...did a quick search and would you know it....the only way to do it right off the bat is with KSnapshot as Big Daddy comes with it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom