Hardware problems.

Auara

Beta member
Sorry im new here, but needed some anylytical thinkers to look into my problem.

My original computer I built a few years back:
AMD Athlon 2200Xp
512 DDR Ram
128mb VIdeo Card
DVD-/+RW
DVD-ROM
30Gig HDD (BOOT)
80Gig HDD (DATA)
10/100 NIC

I bought a newer computer from a friend of mine on thursday:
Dual Athlon 2800MP
1Gig DDR Ram
128MB All-in-Wonder
CD-RW
DVD-ROM
80Gig HDD
10/100 NIC

I got this new computer home and boot it up. Everything is working fine. I then proceed to tear both computers apart. I end up with a single system comprised of the following parts:
Dual Athlon 2800MP
1Gig DDR Ram
128MB All-in-Wonder
DVD-/+RW
80Gig HDD (BOOT)
80Gig HDD (DATA)
10/100 NIC

Once I constuct this, and power it up, nothing happens. I then tear it down to bare peices and start again. The system powers on, the power LED on the front comes on. The fan on the Video Card comes on. the LED s on the NIC come on. The hard drive starts, there is a LED on the HDD that comes on when it powers on. And also, the CD-RW is powering on. However, there is no video coming to my monito, and there I do not get POST on powering up. Also, the system will not power off with the power button. You either have to pull the plug or turn off the power supply. I tried using an old PCI video card, but still didnt get any video.

I was able to rebuild this system using the other board and processor with 1.5 gig of RAM instead. I am able to use this machine without a pronlem. Once XP was reinstalled, it is only reading 512MB RAM.

So, now that you know the backstory, here is the question. What would cause all the boards and fans, LEDs, and drives to power up, but still not have any reacition from POST or video. Or, is it possible that the 1GIG of ram shorted, and that was causing the problems with post and video.

I have been working on this for a couple hours after work yesterday and today. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I have just removed my original 2 256Mg DDr chips, and now my system is showing 1gig of ram. I guess that means the chips are working

I know what it is. I've had this happen to me. You either have the leds setup incorrectly. By leds I mean the power, hdd,restart, and standby leds that you put into the motherboard. If it is not that then the processing chip is damaged. As you said you tore the computer apart and built a new one. The chip might have became damaged when you took it out or when you installed it into the new upgraded PC.

Yeah, simple problem. The Athlon MPs are a server or workstation processor built to use enormous amounts of RAM and blazingly fast. However, they require ECC RAM/ Just use the 1GB of ECC RAM that came with the original AthlonMP setup and do NOT use the other RAM, as it isnt the proper type. ECC= Error Correction Code.

The Athlon MPs need this to even POST in the BIOS. Use ONLY ECC Registered RAM. :D That will fix this little error.

EliteGamer said:
I know what it is. I've had this happen to me. You either have the leds setup incorrectly. By leds I mean the power, hdd,restart, and standby leds that you put into the motherboard. If it is not that then the processing chip is damaged. As you said you tore the computer apart and built a new one. The chip might have became damaged when you took it out or when you installed it into the new upgraded PC.

Wow... umm.... no... that is a bit extreme! LMAO! His CPU is fine man, its the MPs strange architechture. They use type 3 silicon wafers like the mighty Opterons. The Opteron chips were actually loosly based on the MPs. MPs are very interesting processors.. :D

SOLUTION THAT WORKS IGNORING OTHERS:

Take out the non ECC Unregistered DDR DIMM and put in ONLY the ECC Reg DIMMs (the original 1GB that came with the Athlon MP setup) Then order a bit more RAM. What speed is the ECC DDR???

"Will you stop saying bump. Just because you may not know, doesn't mean you should bump this post."

A: considering this is the first time I have ever posted on these boards, let alone even been here before, it would be almost impossible for me to have bumped any thread before.
B: Second off, I only posted here so I could bounce my problem off others who might actually have computer sence, Just becuase I dont know now, doesnt mean that I cannt work the problem out for myself. I was trying to get input...
and
C: There is a 12 hour span between my first post and my second post without any responce, do I not have the right to bump my topic to get a reply at that point.

And now back to the problem at hand.

The 2 Sticks that came with the board itself were 2 512mb chips. when I built the PC with my hard drives orinally, I only used those 2 for the GIG. I didnt put all my RAM chips intoa single machine until I built the one im working from now, but it is only recognizing 512, not 1.5gig.

If it is true that the board wont POST without the correct ram, maybe the chips themselves got fried...

I wonder if any of the part stores around here can test ram...Or better yet maybe they can check the Processors themselves...

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom