Hardware for Xmas, and some questions about Crysis.

worshipme

Golden Master
Hi, I'm probably gonna be getting some new HW for Xmas, so I was thinking a good gaming mouse and a new keyboard and maybe another 2gigs, any suggestions? I was wondering will I notice the difference with another 2gigs? (Vista 64bit) I play quite a few games, although I haven't tried Crysis yet. Is it true the demo is DX9 and is only single threaded, if so, the real game should be easier to run, no? Does anyone really notice the difference between DX9 and 10?

I would recommend getting 2 gigs for sure. When i'm playing crysis with a couple apps open I have a 1.5gigs free memory. Well over 2gigs used.

No its not true the demo is DX9 in XP and auto defaults to DX10 in Vista. Its not optimized for dual and quads in the demo but it can still use all 2/4 cores.

Yes the real game is a bit faster then the demo. Not a whole lot but you will get probally 3-5FPS more in the actual game. The big difference between the demo and real game is SLI support. The demo doesn't support SLI but the real game does. Hence the reason people can play on Very high now since people with SLI can make use of there second card.

There isn't a huge difference between DX9 and DX10 to be honest in the game. Besides the 15FPS you lose by running it in DX10.

As for the keyboard check out this review I just wrote up on the set I just got.

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?p=721958#post721958

Play it in dx9 anyways.

dx10 hasn't really caught up and you will get a better frame rate.

1280X1024? If so I'd say right around the 30FPS mark in Vista. Were not talking Very high were talking high settings. Also in the last level I should add your going to have to knock your settings back. No way your running high on that last level. I think thats a preview level of what they can really do because the amount of light effects etc off the crystals etc really bogs systems down. Really trippy level to play as well.

With my sig computer below, I was getting around 18-25fps at 1024x768 at Very High settings using the XP hack. Not amazing, but definietly playable.
I was playing with a CRT to make sure it looked good.

On my own monitor (1680x1050), its possible to play at High, and still get around 18fps, but it can drop many times to 11fps, and even lower sometimes making it rather studdery at parts.

I'd say with your sig computer, 30fps is probably manageable in High, and you may even be able to run in Very High if you don't mind the odd slowdown (unless the Vista DX10 works slower than the hack to get the same effects in XP)

With my sig computer below, I was getting around 18-25fps at 1024x768 at Very High settings using the XP hack. Not amazing, but definietly playable.
I was playing with a CRT to make sure it looked good.

On my own monitor (1680x1050), its possible to play at High, and still get around 18fps, but it can drop many times to 11fps, and even lower sometimes making it rather studdery at parts.

I'd say with your sig computer, 30fps is probably manageable in High, and you may even be able to run in Very High if you don't mind the odd slowdown (unless the Vista DX10 works slower than the hack to get the same effects in XP)

Its not comparable Kage. Your running XP were running Vista. Vista is like insta 15FPS drop in DX10.

Can't you force to use Direct X 9 in Vista also, and just use the hack that may run faster?

Back
Top Bottom