Hardrive Swap Without System Repair

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok i have an old win 98 machine that it like to take the hardrive out and place in another slightly more powerful machine,

now what devices do i have to remove in device manager for this to work ?

wouldn't count on this working, especially with win 98. Your chipset and other system drivers will be completely different in almost all cases. There is no repair in windows 98 unfortunately, but you could try a dirty install (install without formating). Do you just want to get data off of it or do you actually want to use the os as it is?? The later I wouldn't recommend, you're going to have all kinds of issues.

wouldn't count on this working, especially with win 98. Your chipset and other system drivers will be completely different in almost all cases. There is no repair in windows 98 unfortunately, but you could try a dirty install (install without formating). Do you just want to get data off of it or do you actually want to use the os as it is?? The later I wouldn't recommend, you're going to have all kinds of issues.

i know but there is a way to get round it i think, if i uninstall in dsafe mode all the drivers for the motherboard graphics everything then turn it off and replace hardrive and turn back on the new comp then windows uses default drivers to boot up.

Back
Top Bottom