Hardrive Clicking noise?

computerfix101

In Runtime
I have a Dell Demension 3000 and it has it's years on it since i got it but the other day i was having a bad day and when i came home from school i turned on my computer and it didn't boot up. So i restarted the computer thinking it was a fluke and it turns out that when i turn on my computer my hardrive makes this clicking noise like it wants to boot up...

Does this mean my hardrive is as good as gone?

Let me know.
thanks

This just happened to me. You could try a external enclosure or a usb to sata/ide adapter cable to recover your files. I used a external enclosure and it read the drive fine, I was still able to transfer all my files off of it. I would not give up on it yet.

Does this drive have Windows installed or was it a storage drive?

Don't give any hopes as it might not work as well. If you let if cool off a couple of days, you could retry or try the freezer effect. I don't remember if it worked for me.

I found this utility called HDD Regenerator that I used to recover files off of my nephew's external HDD (it too was clicking). I can't guarantee it will work in your situation, but it worked wonders for me and my nephew. If you do recover your files, definitely copy them over to another drive as soon as possible. Once a drive starts clicking it will eventually be unreadable.

Back
Top Bottom